Can I Build this PC for less Money?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have received all the parts and put them all together. However, the power supply does not have a 4 Pin 12v adapter for the motherboard. So, I made one. Now when I plug that in nothing happens. The case fans barely jerk and that is all.

Without the 4 Pin 12v plugged in all the fans run and all of the diagnostic LEDs come on and remain on, which means system start up. I cannot open the CD drive unless I disconnect the IDE cable from it. With only the power cable connected it opens fine. I have tried another IDE cable with the same results. Any ideas?

Thanks!

-Nathan

rockeyman2 said:
So, I made one.

:eek: ...How did you make one? :eek:

And I know for a fact that that PSU has 24 conenctors. See the Newegg page for the PSU here. Now go down and look at the "main connector." See the 20+4Pins? You can confirm that from the pictures.

As for the drives, no idea. That goes in the Hardware Troubleshooting section.

Alright. I have the connectors in. I feel smart, didn't know they were connected. :eek: However, I am still having the same problem. I called DFI and they said the processor was not supported and I need to try another, but I don't just have another processor lying around.

Any suggestions?

The Opteron? They're not officially supported, and the most you would need is a BIOS flash to make it work. Downlaod the new BIOS from another computer and put it on a floppy. Take out all but the necessary components on the new PC, boot up, and update the BIOS. Thats all you should need to do.

Alright we have boot! To fix it. All I did was take out the CPU and put it back in. Strange......Hours of work leading no where 3 pointless calls to support and all it took was 1 min reinstalling the processor. Weird..... but it works now!! :D

Thanks for the replies!! I will hopefully post an update with while using it tonight!

I am currently posting with my new AWESOME computer system! Thanks to all of you who recommended parts.

There are only a few small problems:

The small sound ports do not work and the larger ones work but sound terrible, lots of static and a hum.

Sometimes when I start up the computer the USB keyboard/mouse do not function until I unplug and plug them in again.

Last night I was playing Oblivion to test out my new rig and it randomly crashed to the desktop.

Other than that is has run flawlessly.

I have not overclocked it yet, but plan to do so very soon.

Thank you for all the help and if you have and suggestions about the problems please let me know.

Thank you!

-Nathan

It's not uncommon for Oblivion to crash every now and then. And I guess you got bad integraded sound, you may want to shoot for a PCI soundcard.

Have fun with your new computer!

to the guy that told me that all i had to do is replace my ps. once and it would of fixed all my problems well that was the first thing i replaced and also the second thing i replaced but for the most part the company was the one doing all the replacing either at there company or over the phone service. so i felt i must defend myself just a little thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom