What to upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

b1gapl

Mod Emeritus
I have about $200, and I already spent about $75 on a CRT that I need. With the remaining, what can I upgrade? Unfortunately I don't want to upgrade the video card because I just bought it a few weeks ago, without knowing that my mother will be giving me 200.

Processor maybe. might want to think about gathering a little more money. if u cant then maybe another gig of ram.

What mobo are you using? This will allow us to help you more.

At this point, however, I would be inclined to agree with TehBestEver. Wait until you save some more money and then upgrade.

If your mobo will take another gig of memory, then that would be a good move. Many of the current games utilize more memory.

i'd stronly suggest for a 7600 or a 6800, but......if u dun wanna upgrade the video card then definitely a new CPU.

old_geekster50 said:
What mobo are you using? This will allow us to help you more.

At this point, however, I would be inclined to agree with TehBestEver. Wait until you save some more money and then upgrade.

If your mobo will take another gig of memory, then that would be a good move. Many of the current games utilize more memory.

My mobo is pretty old....it's an ASUS P4B266-LM..it's from a Sony Vaio.
I don't know what CPU it can handle, so I would appreciate it if you tell me. I'm not sure if the max is 2GB of mem, because I have one program saying the max is 2 and on the sony site that said the max is 1.

Use CPU-Z to find out what socket your mobo is, then try and see if you can find a nicely priced upgrade CPU. If you can't then maybe upgrade your video card. It that's still too expensive, then upgrade your RAM.

My socket is 478...I think I'm leaning more towards ram, but I'm not sure yet about the capacity. I used this program called eSupport BIOS Agent Version 3.45 that said the capacity is 2GB, but when I went on the sony site to download the computer specs, it said max is 1GB. I was just thinking of getting a stick of 1GB to add to the 512. I also used 3dmark 03 and 05, and they both said Max Module Capacity is 2.00GB under Memory Array 1/1...does this mean my mobo can handle 2GB RAM? Which should I believe?

I'd upgrade the CPU bro, no use having 2gb RAM if you only have a 1.8GHz processor. Upgrade the processor to a 3.0-3.2GHz or higher if you can afford it. But if you can't afford it, then just upgrade the RAM or video card. I think you have enough RAM at the moment, you should upgrade the video card. That being said, if you can't afford a CPU upgrade.

cyrax said:
I'd upgrade the CPU bro, no use having 2gb RAM if you only have a 1.8GHz processor. Upgrade the processor to a 3.0-3.2GHz or higher if you can afford it. But if you can't afford it, then just upgrade the RAM or video card. I think you have enough RAM at the moment, you should upgrade the video card. That being said, if you can't afford a CPU upgrade.

I can't afford the CPU upgrade now, even if I can I don't think my mobo can handle 3.0GHz processor. For the video card I don't want to because I just bought mine recently without knowing I was going to get more money. But what about my question about the RAM capacity?
I used three programs I mentioned before, two said my mobo can hold 2GB ram and the other said 1GB...which do I believe? My mobo is P4B266-LM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom