advice on xp upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

benzimm86

In Runtime
I am doing an upgrade for my uncle. His computer he uses for his business currently has windows xp home and i am upgrading it to windows xp pro. I read that if you have an xp pro cd with sp2 on it you can just install over the top without formatting which would prevent file lose but i did that on one of his other computers and it got all screwie.

What im looking for is what you suggest doing for this upgrade. I know i need to back up the drive. I will be ghosting the drive before i do anything. But just because i have the ghost image doesnt mean i will be able to get the files off without puting that ghost image onto another drive. How would you go about doing this upgrade?

you dont have to restore the entire image into a partition to access its contents , you can just mount it in windows after ghost is installed of course then extract the files/folders needed

i suggest youll do as follows
1) if the hard drive have only 1 partition , backup the data to cd/dvd discs or usb flash memory or to external/network hard drive/or just connect another internal hard drive and copy the data to it.. , if it have more then 1 partition then copy the important data to that 2nd/3rd.. partition

2) if the hard drive have only 1 partition just boot from the xp cd and delete the partition then recreate (better make 2 set the first one somewhere between 10-14 gb) & format and continue to install , if it have more then 1 partition and you dont wanna lose the data on those partition/s youll have to use a partition manager (like acronis disk director/partition magic/paragon partition manager) and format the main (C:) partition then boot from the xp cd and just install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom