Weird HDD sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Gootch

TechyBurst
Hello, Uhm when i leave my PC idle and it sits for about 10 mins, after that my HDD makes noise like its Defragging.. DOes it everysingle time i leave it idle. It goes away after 30mins or so, or if i bring it out of idle like moving the mouse.. Wtf is it doing or wut can it be??

What your hard drive is doing is reading, ususally most computers do not read off their hard drives unless a program is running requiring information that is not in memory. If your computer is idle and not running any programs like auto defrag or scans of any variation it could be spyware or virii doing their dirty work. But also it could be one of your programs doing one of its tasks its supposed to do. I would run your computer through spyware and virus scans and if that doesnt fix the problem boot up in safe mode. This ensures that no other programs are running in background. If it still does it its possible it could be a hardware problem like the drive heating up and changing shape and ratting or something odd and obscure like that.

Re:

Hello,

I'd also check to see if the indexing service is active on your hard drive(s). Indexing service explained here:

http://www.theeldergeek.com/indexing_service.htm

There's three ways of doing this:

1. Through drive properties in My Computer

In the case, simply go to My Computer > Right click and go to Properties of the particular Hard Drive > Ensure Allow indexing service to index this disk for fast file searching is unchecked.

Do this for all Hard Drives you have on your PC.

2. Uninstalling it in Add / Remove Windows Components

You can uninstall the Indexing Service by going to Add or Remove Programs in control panel, and by clicking on the Add / Remove Windows Components button on the left. Uncheck the Indexing Service and click Next to begin removal.

3. Through the Services Administrative Tools in the Control Panel (if applicable)

If you have the Administrative Tools installed on your system, you can follow the steps outlined here:

http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/tune-18.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom