dvd burner question

Status
Not open for further replies.

poopi

Beta member
I recently brought a cheap computer off ebay and was wanting to put a dvd burner in it. It has intel celeron 333mhz, 6.4 gb hd, 64mb ram and i am yet to chose a operating system. will this computer be sufficent to use a dvd burner (i have heard that the burner requires less to operate than stated in system requirements as the software needs system requirements that the burner dosen't) and if my computer isn't suitable can u tell what i need to do or a way to make it work
thanx

the computer also has a cd/rw al ready installed , all i want to do with the computer is copy dvds

u should be able to use a dvd burner on that but not for being a pirate or ripping etc. as the the cpu is a letdown to copying or even playing dvds... plus u might not be able to burn at a considerably fast speed with your hard drive (not sure on what ata it is) but yeh it should work at least at a slow speed eg. 2-4x perhaps more .. try and get a 80 cable for your hard drive to motherboard connection as your drive may support dma66 or something like that which will help you if you want to add a dvd burner. if you use win98se for your operating system it would allow more ram to be free (win98 dont take as much as later o/s) and improve your burning success but you may have to fiddle if you find problems and your 64mb isnt sufficient.

i'd say add another 64mb stick in to be safe and find a ide 80 conductor cable to make your hdd read/write faster (if it can) and you will definately be able to burn data but i dont think it would be wise to use it for copying dvds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom