In Runtime
I built this system ~4 weeks ago

Antec Sonata2
120mm Tri-Cool exhaust set to 2
120mm Smart-cool intake
ASUS A8N-E
Athlon 64 3800+ X2
ASUS EN 6600LE/Silencer/TD/256M

I am not a gamer so did not get a crazy video card and I wanted a silent running system so I got a passively cooled card.

Up untill last week my temps were:
~28-35 C Mobo
~35- 41C CPU
And this is with just my exhaust going at 1 (slow) and intake off.

Now My mobo temps have all of a sudden increased and reach up to ~46 C while my CPU maxes out at ~41 still.

I turned on the intake and turned up my exhaust to keep it low which defeats my goal of a quiet system. Right now they are
41 C mobo/30 C CPU

I removed and reinstalled my chipset fan with fresh grease etc but this did not help. I also tried unistalling recent Nvidia drivers and going back to the originals (no help)

To the touch, the case on the chip fan is warm. and it is right by the corner of my video card.

? could the chip case fan be warm from anything else than the nearby card (doubt it)?

So I assume it is from the card. SO could the card all of a sudden be getting warmer than it did the first 3 weeks? and thus heating up my NB chipset?

It is a no brainer I suppose to directly connect the chip temp to the cards heat but why after 3 weeks??

If this is the case, how can I cool the card without turning up my exhaust and using an intake? Can I add a fan to the card? should I get a diufferent card?

Really appreciate any input.

thehucker

You may want to check to see if you have accumulated some dust inside or on the northbridge heatsink. I'm assuming that is where the temperature sensor is that you are talking about. Dust can do more than you think... try taking a can of compressed air or do what I do, use an air compressor.

Chipset heat

KorKwin,

Thanks, but...It is brand new system and very clean. But I have blown it like crazy looking to get that 1 spec of dust that could be responsible.

My compressor is on a job right now or I'd blow 125 psi w/ it!

Be careful with any moisture that may be in your tank tho I sure it isnt good for the pc internals.

I also reinstalled my chip fan/grease etc and cleaned everything in the process. soo, It really is very unexpalinable but like anything, there must be a logical answer.

thanks again for the reply.

Re: Chipset heat

cliffhucker said:
KorKwin,

Thanks, but...It is brand new system and very clean. But I have blown it like crazy looking to get that 1 spec of dust that could be responsible.

My compressor is on a job right now or I'd blow 125 psi w/ it!

Be careful with any moisture that may be in your tank tho I sure it isnt good for the pc internals.

I also reinstalled my chip fan/grease etc and cleaned everything in the process. soo, It really is very unexpalinable but like anything, there must be a logical answer.

thanks again for the reply.

Use the quote button if it helps you.Anyways.Its not that moisture will harm the "pc internals" it just that if there is electricty going threw it then it will harm it.Plus that little of moisture will evaporate so fast you dont have to worry.Umm I dont know why it would be doing that maybe try and put a chipset fan or get a new chipset HSF.

An air compressor isn't a good idea. It usually contains a high moisture content and lubricating oil, that's not a good thing to be spraying onto PC components.

chipset fan

Any reccomendations for Nforce-4-ultra fan for ASUS A8N-E that would be better than the stock one?

I have a ZALMANNB47J but this is passive and I want to beable to turn my intake back off as it was the first 3 weeks of operation when the temps were cool.

Or I was thinking of possibly trying to do something like this:

erixx
Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:16 pm Post subject:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hi all!
first post!
I replaced the stock chipset kit with a blue Zalman (fanless) when i build the system this week (I already saw all the posts recommending it!)

Anyway, the zalman was really hot all time... I tested the Asus holding it in my hand and i noticed it was not noisy (seems now they ship a better one). To improve the cooling i superglued it to the side of the zalman (blowing towards the back of the case). Well only the bare fan itself, the metal parts of the Asus aren't worth much, just unscrew everything.

I connected it with a 'T' or 1in2 fan cable, so its sharing power with another (case) fan and runs slower...

Now the zalman stays cool and no noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom