Problem with E: drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

gandalfbaggins

Solid State Member
Hi everyone, I'm new here. I was wondering if anyone could please help me fix my computer?

Well, here's the problem: Right now, I have a game disc (Diablo II) in the E: drive. The slot opens and closes, but whenever I click on the shortcut to the game, this pops up:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
CD-ROM Drive Error | X |
Diablo II was unable to locate your CD-ROM drive.
Please make sure your Diablo II Expansion Disc is in your CD-ROM drive, and then click 'Retry'.
|Retry| |Cancel|

Yes, the CD is in there. Yes, I tried scandisc and defragmenting.
I have no virus protection. (Norton was somehow deleted)
The things I have installed to help get rid of bad things:
- A²
- Ad-Aware
- Spybot
- Absolute Startup

The thing is, Diablo 2 worked yesterday. It crashed many times but eventually, it would work again.

A while ago, I installed a game called Gunbound. It was working fine until a patch installed NPROTECT(gameguard) into my computer. Ever since, problems began to pop up. I uninstalled and deleted the registry things that belonged to Gunbound and thought I was rid of the evil for good.

My computer seems pretty messed up right now. When I restart it, it takes a long time to load. A few days ago, it was crashing a LOT but that seems to only happen now when I play games. (Absolute startup deleted some stuff but I was too excited to see what the files were.)

Could some malware have corrupted my CD drive / game disc?
Is it just that I have restarted the computer so many times that it overheated or something like that?

If you have any idea what's happening and/or how to fix it, please reply.

Thank you very much!

gandalfbaggins said:

- A²
- Ad-Aware
- Spybot
- Absolute Startup

These won't necessarily protect against virii. What OS are you running? How did Norton "somehow get deleted?"

Sounds like a corrupt OS, possibly due to virus.:(

I am running Windows ME.

I'm not exactly sure, but I think:

- Some spyware deleted it (Stop-sign?)
Or...
- I tried to install the trial for Norton 2004 but it froze in the middle and I think it deleted the old version

I did a Mcafee freescan and it said nothing was wrong... Would the full version have more definitions?

Should I buy an anti-virus program from a store? And if so, which one?

ok, NPROTECT is spyware that manifests itself everywhere it can on your computer. If Spybot and Ad Aware are up to date and don't show it, you should be ok. If not up to date, delete the following Registry keys:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\clsid\{9a19966f-ae0e-4699-8cce-9b6f5f1c352c}
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\typelib\{9a19966f-ae0e-4699-8cce-9b6f5f1c352c}

Windows ME is bad, very, very bad, umkay.

I am still working on the main problem, its late and I'm tired.

Sorry, forgot to add that nProtect and NPROTECT can also be anti-malware and part of Norton. I forgot about the different varieties.

Have you recently added another peripheral device or hard drive? This could move the drive letter for your CD ROM down.

Is that a legit copy of Diablo? If so, clean the CD then try again.

Are your device drivers up to date?

Try accessing the drive from DOS, if it works in dos but not windows, you have a corrupted os and should reinstall. If you have problems in dos, you may have a bad drive.

Hope this helps.

PS. I didn't realize where this was posted, next time post in the appropriate forum. This forum is for site feedback and suggestions

Well, I cleaned the disc and it seems to work now!

Sorry about posting in the wrong forum. (I saw a few threads about computer trouble here. Where should I post next time I have a computer problem?)

Thank you very much for your help, cajun. :)

Whow

gandalfbaggins said:
Well, I cleaned the disc and it seems to work now!

Sorry about posting in the wrong forum. (I saw a few threads about computer trouble here. Where should I post next time I have a computer problem?)

Thank you very much for your help, cajun. :)

So many have this problem.Thanks,what cleaner did you use.
Jambalya.
It will be moved if its not where it should be.

OK

gandalfbaggins said:
I used.........................................

Water

Well you got lucky as your supposed to use a lint free cloth in a wagon wheel direction.Try the diswasher next time.

hahaha, still remembering the dishwasher thread.
Ive used water on some of my CD's, the underside of the CD doesn't have the data, it is just underneath the label.
the underside of the CD is just plastic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom