Need help installing Fresh Windows XP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lumburg

Solid State Member
I just recently built a custom computer from scratch. My first time ever. I successfully plugged all power cords in their proper place and all.

I got my Windows Xp Home cd-rom. I set up my moboard BIOS to boot from the CD drive first then my floppy drive, then my hard drive.

For some reason it does not start up the installation setup when i start up the comp with the cd in the cd drive. It just seems the computer over looks the cd rom, even though you can hear it spinning, but im not sure it is reading the cd cause my green led doesnt go on during that time, only when i place the cd in it. anyways, then i get a message "Boot system failure, please insert system disk, etc." (something along those lines).

i have a dvd drive connected to my cdr-drive and they are plugged in the primary master 1st IDE slot of my moboard (asus sli premium). In the BIOS, it doesnt seem to see the dvd drive as an option for a boot drive via cd-rom.

any suggestions? i thought it would be an easy put in cd into cd-rom and start it up....

Is the IDE cable plugged in correctly? What i mean is how do you have the jumpers et up? Do you have them set up for master and then the IDE cable set to slave?

The IDE Cable looks like this:

Plug----Plug--------Plug

The first one goes to the motherboard. The 2nd plug is the master connection. The 4rd plug (furthest away) is the slave plug.

So double check your jumper setting and the IDE cable and ,ake sure they are all set up right.

If you still have a problem then my only guess would be that your XP CD isnt bootable.

just to make it more clear,
plug1--->plug2---->plug3
1 - goes to motherbaord
2 - goes to slave device
3 - goes to master device

anyway it sounds like a jumper issue ill explain it from scratch cuz i have a feeling you might not know what that is
first of jumpers look about like this
000-JUMP-PS-100.GIF

as you alredy know you can attach a maximum of 2 devices per ide cable each device have a jumper that determines if its gonna be a master or a slave (both devices cannot use the same jumper settings, in such cases either both wont be recognized or just one of em)
the jumper is located at the back of the drive
Cds32x.gif

first of youll need to disconnect the cables from the drives,and open both sides of the case and unscrew the drives from the right side and then lay down the case and unscrew from the other and pull out the drives , now for work youll need this tool (tweezers)
tweezers.jpg

when done put em back in and connect the cables (still while case is laying down) and put the screws while holding the back of the drive/s so they wont get too deep and then put the case to its normal position (but hold the drives down from the bay) while puting the screws on the other side , goodluck

edit this is about optical drives but its basicly the same for ide hard drives except the master/slave jumper position is diffrent on hard drives, its usally printed on top of the ide connector or on the sticker

ok, i did the master and slave thing, except i left out the dvd drive, ill do that later. i just booted her up and now shes got the blue set up screen YES!!!! thank you so much guys!

jeremy said:
just to make it more clear,
plug1--->plug2---->plug3
1 - goes to motherbaord
2 - goes to slave device
3 - goes to master device

anyway it sounds like a jumper issue ill explain it from scratch cuz i have a feeling you might not know what that is
first of jumpers look about like this
000-JUMP-PS-100.GIF

as you alredy know you can attach a maximum of 2 devices per ide cable each device have a jumper that determines if its gonna be a master or a slave (both devices cannot use the same jumper settings, in such cases either both wont be recognized or just one of em)
the jumper is located at the back of the drive
Cds32x.gif

first of youll need to disconnect the cables from the drives,and open both sides of the case and unscrew the drives from the right side and then lay down the case and unscrew from the other and pull out the drives , now for work youll need this tool (tweezers)
tweezers.jpg

when done put em back in and connect the cables (still while case is laying down) and put the screws while holding the back of the drive/s so they wont get too deep and then put the case to its normal position (but hold the drives down from the bay) while puting the screws on the other side , goodluck

this need to be sticky to the top of the forum. this question is ask a lot

i dont get what u do with the little jumper thing u said u need tweasers to do this but didnt explain what to do with them. unless im being blind. do u switch sumthing across so one is slave and one master?

i did :s it explains the jumpers and wateva but doesnt actually say what u hav to do. im on my psp so maybe isnt showing up.

you have 2 options

1. set one to master and the other to slave.

2. set both to cs (cable select, which automatically set the first one to master and the other to slave). not all mobo support this mode.

alway set c drive to master. alway set dvd burner to master. cd burner tale priority over cd-dvd roms as master.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom