After Affects of Worm

Status
Not open for further replies.
For some reason, I can't boot from the CD. I have put in 3 different CDs: Norton SystemWorks, Windows 98 SE, and Windows XP Pro. It will read all these CDs, show the menus, but it will only do any programs or installs off the CDs.

The only place that I have been able to run a executable is from the "A" drive.

Dave :(

DMo224 said:
For some reason, I can't boot from the CD. I have put in 3 different CDs: Norton SystemWorks, Windows 98 SE, and Windows XP Pro. It will read all these CDs, show the menus, but it will only do any programs or installs off the CDs.

The only place that I have been able to run a executable is from the "A" drive.

Dave goto My computer right click and go down and click properties.

then from there goto your Device Manager and goto CD rom and click the little plus sign. Now right click on both of them and click remove, once you done both reboot and let it load back up with with windows to see if that will fixs any corrupt driver.
You can do this while your in windows.

But If your able to Read from A: then you are find and just use your Start up disk to reformat.

Let me know how the Device Manager trick works out ok.

Talk about interesting, but really maddening!

I right clicked on My Computer and got this error message:

Access to the specified device, path, or file is denied.

However, I can go to other program shortcuts and look at their properties. So, I started checking most of them. My Computer and Network Neighborhood are the only two that give me that error message when clicking on properties.

Also, my start up disk is a CD, not a floppy.

I'm don't want to reformat yet. I want to see if I can get some information/data off my PC before I do.

Hopeful Dave :(

DMo224 said:
Talk about interesting, but really maddening!

I right clicked on My Computer and got this error message:

Access to the specified device, path, or file is denied.

However, I can go to other program shortcuts and look at their properties. So, I started checking most of them. My Computer and Network Neighborhood are the only two that give me that error message when clicking on properties.

Also, my start up disk is a CD, not a floppy.

I'm don't want to reformat yet. I want to see if I can get some information/data off my PC before I do.

Hopeful Dave :(

Control panel and click on system to take you to the same place other then using the short cut My Computer. After this we can try one ohter thing, turn off the write protect on hard drive to see if that works

Cd as a start up, wow :( I can email you it and you can put it to a floppy if you what :D

Dave

I PM you. If this don't work I walk you through safe mode and do some other things ok.

When your ready if all else fails let me know and I will send you the start up files you need to format.

You sure

You have put the Windopws XP Pro CD, shutdown the computer completely, and restarted the PC and you do not see a message that says "press any key to boot from cd?"

If not, you may have to setup your CMOS to boot from CD first.

Nightman said:
Control panel and click on system to take you to the same place other then using the short cut My Computer. After this we can try one ohter thing, turn off the write protect on hard drive to see if that works
I thought of that, go figure, but it didn't work. When I go to Start, Settings, and the Control Panel, the CP window opens. However, I can not access anything in the CP. I get the "Access denied" error.

I think I can format it from DOS, but I'm still holding off on doing a format.
Originally posted by brahm
You have put the Windopws XP Pro CD, shutdown the computer completely, and restarted the PC and you do not see a message that says "press any key to boot from cd?"
Yes, I have done that. I've tried it in both the "D" and "E" drives, and it does not start up reading them.

When CMOS is mentioned, I have been there, but I always start to twitch......you know, nerves.

I'm ready to try just about anything, but not quite ready for the format.

Update!

I've done some checking with local computer repair shops. Their prices range from $35 to $65 US per hour for their work. Some had specials of reformatting for $49, backing up for $59, and reloading everything for $79. There were some straight $50+ fees for diagnostic checks. Wow!

So, I really appreciate the help that everyone has offered. It's fantastic to have a community of virtual friends trying to help.

And I just found out that a friend of mine has been doing this kind of work for quite some time. He's coming over to the house tomorrow evening to check out my system. That's put the first smile on this face since I received this worm. :D

If you still have suggestions, I'm open to try them. It would be cool to get it fixed before he arrives. I'll be checking back in and letting you know what happens.

Thanks,

Dave :)

Ok dave Got your PM

Lets try the write protect of the hard drive.

But you need to get into the system properties to do this.

go to the C: drive and the windows/system directory and locate the sistray or system properties this way. let me know if your able to get on the system properties.

I'll wait.

Re: Update!

DMo224 said:
I've done some checking with local computer repair shops. Their prices range from $35 to $65 US per hour for their work. Some had specials of reformatting for $49, backing up for $59, and reloading everything for $79. There were some straight $50+ fees for diagnostic checks. Wow!

So, I really appreciate the help that everyone has offered. It's fantastic to have a community of virtual friends trying to help.

And I just found out that a friend of mine has been doing this kind of work for quite some time. He's coming over to the house tomorrow evening to check out my system. That's put the first smile on this face since I received this worm. :D

If you still have suggestions, I'm open to try them. It would be cool to get it fixed before he arrives. I'll be checking back in and letting you know what happens.

Thanks,

Dave :)

Ok Dave. If you didn't live far I would pop over :rolleyes: I'm in Pennsylvania

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom