Is the ATI Radeon 7200 32MB DDR Overclockable???

Status
Not open for further replies.

MtX

Solid State Member
Hello,

I currently have an ATI Radeon 7200 32MB DDR as my video card.. It's quite old, I bought it for $300 Canadian in it's first weeks of release (I know, I'm stupid, what a waste of money...). I've used it for around 2 years now, and it's not quite up to par with newer games (WarCraft III, UT2k3, Mafia, RTCW). In fact, it's not even as fast as it should be with Half-Life Counter-Strike (I get an average of 30-40 FPS with D3D). I want to overclock my video card to have at least an average of 40-50 FPS constantly. Wish I had the money to go buy a new video card, but I don't.

Does anyone know a costless, SAFE, and efficient way of overclocking this old card? I don't want to spend money buying multiple fans (my basement is cold enough), and I don't want to explode my motherboard either.

Thanks.

[My System Specs]

AMD Duron 600
Asus A7V133
ATI Radeon 7200 32MB DDR
450 MB SD RAM
30GB Quantum HD 7200RPM
ESS Solo 1938 Sound Card

It should be as far as I know. Before you overclock though, make sure you have the latest catalyst drivers, and make sure your DirectX is the latest version supported by your card. You should see a performance increase just with that. Understand that overclocking a card like that wont get you tremendous FPS improvements. To overclock it, look for an app called "Powerstrip" I believe. Good OC tool for Radeons.

Yea I tried DirectX9 with the newest Catalyst drivers which claim to boost performance by a lot because of DirectX9.. However, my frame rates in Counter-Strike drop 5-10.. I had to revert back to previous drivers and DirectX8.1 :(

Damn...... That looks risky and complicated..... Is it worth risking this old video card which I spend $300 Canadian on?

Not that hard, if u just take ur time and read it properly... But if u don't want to screw it up... Maybe u could just buy a new one for $300... U could get a 9700 pro... just a thought

It has been around since the release of the 7500 and 8500, in an effort fill in the lower-end of the market spectrum, and also to sell off the remaining stockpiles of R100 chips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom