Problem with explorer.exe (cant get in windows)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tymetwister

Baseband Member
ugh, so... after installing all of the Windows Updates on my girlfriends computer, I noticed that there was a lot of video lag, so I began uninstalling the updates one at a time. I probably uninstalled about 6 of them, rebooted, and now when I boot up I have a problem with explorer.exe. I get "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close." Modname: kernel32.dll. And it can't get to the desktop. I get it when trying to boot up into normal mode and safe mode.

I tried going to "Use Last known Good configuration" and that didn't work. And I don't have the restore CD for the computer, so my question is, do I have any other options? I didn't get a chance to back everything up before it happened, so I don't want to lose all the files. normally I can figure most stuff out but this is a toughie. I know I can fix it by reformatting but is there any other options? Thanks...

When your hanging on the desktop press control+alt+del and open the taskmanager. Go to File>>run then type explorer.exe and press enter. Post results.

Find a Winternals and perform a system restore. Search google and see if you can find a link and instructions on how to use it. If I find one, I will post it.

Can't seem to find anything on Winternals that is free anyway...

Another thing, I don't have the Restore/Windows CD but I do have the OEM (printed on side of case.) Is there any way to trigger windows reinstallation without the CD?

Unfortunatley not. See if you can get your hands on a Windows CD and do a repair install. See my sig for the instructions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom