nt backup scheduled job could not find media

Status
Not open for further replies.

selina

In Runtime
I'm having to run NTBackup on 3 of my servers here that are on Win 2000 server SP4. But when I have a scheduled job run, it always fails. with the following message in the log:

Backup Status
The operation was not performed because the specific media cannot be found.

But if i run a backup manually using the same media, then, it runs.

Why is this?
and how do i fix this?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q239892

Note If you are trying to schedule a repeating backup to a single tape device using the /p switch, you may see one of the following errors in the backup report:

• The operation was not performed because no unused media was available.
-or-
• Operation was not performed, because the specified media cannot be found.
To prevent these errors, use the /um unmanaged method switch.

Note When you use the /um switch, we recommend that you do not use the /n switch to label the media. Instead, permit backup to use the default date/time as the label name and description. This eliminates multiple tapes having the same label name that may cause RSM to ask for a manual tape mount and prevent backup from continuing/completing unattended. If you want to re-use the same tape for a scheduled incremental backup by appending to the same tape, you should use the "managed method" described above instead of using the /um switch.

it's a network media.
i looked into permission settings. the account taht i use to run the ntback wasn't in the permission settings so i added it.
hopefully this was the cuase of the problem....

i doubted it because when i run it manually, it doesn't give me the error and runs the backup as it's supposed to. if it was really the premission problem, it should give me an error, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom