mouse cursor creeping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apokalipse

Golden Master
I have a strange problem. When I turned my computer on today, I found my mouse cursor slowly creeping in the up-left direction.

I thought, maybe Windows has just loaded the drivers incorrectly. so I rebooted, but it still happened.

so I went into device manager and rolled back to the standard Microsoft mouse drivers
then I uninstalled the mouse, and plugged it into a different USB port. still happened.

so, to find out if it was the mouse itself or not, I unplugged the mouse completely. the cursor still went creeping along without any mouse plugged in.

it also happens with any mouse I use. my Logitech G5, MX510, basic Microsoft optical.

One time it did stop creeping along, that was after typing something in this forum. but after a while it started again.
I'm stumped on this one......

I would try to boot into "safe mode" to eliminate any chance of a Third Party program that may be manipulating it.

My mother's home computer has had this problem for over a year. I've tried everything I can think of to fix it. I just gave up.

I have the same problem (although I've just come to accept it now!) I read whilst looking into it that it can be caused by the surface the optical mouse is being used on. Don't they make optical mouse specific mouse pads? I've never tried one but it may be worth a shot if this is bugging you? What type of suface are you using it on? Mine is on a smooth desktop, and I still get this.

Joe

Alvin.C said:
...does it happen if you plug a mouse in the PS/2 port?
yes, it happens even with no mice plugged in.
Originally posted by talldude123
try another mouse. Make sure nothing is jammed inside the mouse ball area.
I've tried 4 mice, and none of them use a ball:
Logitech G5 USB (laser)
Logitech MX510 USB (optical)
basic microsoft mouse USB (optical)
A4tech PS/2 mouse (optical)

I am about to try reinstalling SP2, and if that doesn't work, I'll try "sfc /scannow"

I could also try deleting the mouse drivers manually, using the recovery console of the XP disk.
can anyone confirm if the file (or one of the files) for the mouse driver is:
C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\mouclass.sys

okay, after doing sfc /scannow it seems to have stopped. but I'll see if it starts happening later on
*edit*
darn it, it's still happening!
if I can't get this resolved, I may just end up backing up my stuff and formatting C: (I have plenty of space on my 2 other hard drives)
the hard drive is getting kind of cluttered anyway

I had the SAME issue, but it was a ball mouse, so I just got fed up one day, because it didn't work right, and I smashed it. So now, I'm using an Optical from Logitech. Works great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom