Dual Core question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord AnthraX

Fully Optimized
Eh I was just wondering how you can manage Both cores.

Waiting for my opteron to come back from newegg and I was just curious....

Do you have to max out one core to use the other one?

Also can I make it so my games play on 1 core while my other on the other core..

Sorry if these are stupid questions....just curious.

good questions but i doubt if that kind of controlability is left to the user.

i'm not even sure if they actually have 2 seperate cores, do they? are the chips that much bigger? why not just put it into one core and not call it dual core? sounds like a marketing ploy, kinda.

no....ok Dual core processing is as it states. Dual core. its not like if you put two 3200+ Venice's on the same mobo somehow you will will get dual core. Im pretty sure you can can do that stuff but Im just not sure how and I was looking for someone to explain.

Dual core (2 cores in 1CPU) and dual processors (2 seperate CPU) are different. usually dual core is better than dual processor.. because the 2 cores are put togather = less communication time +AMD has memory controller within the CPU. unless you can afford for custum intel quad processor machine, dual core is the choice for the future. and it all depends on how the software hundles 2 cores or not. so any software thats not specifically made to work w/ dual core, it only sees and uses 1 of the core.

windows xp will automatically use both cores. also, there is a program from tomshardware that allows you to set certain programs to certain cores. go to toms hardware and then search for 'getting more bang out of your dual processing buck' and the program should come up. but in windows it will use both cores, however in games that aren't for dual core it will only use 1 core.

you can set which core runs certain programs. In task manager under preferences you can right click on the process and "set affinity" to either "0" or "1". (each core). I havent really needed to do this though. My opty multitasks amazingly without worrying about setting the cores to different programs.

while on the topic,

if you buy a Athlon X2 3800+ (infiltrators specs) then does that mean that there are '2' 3800+ in the same CPU? furthermore, lets say that the 3800+ is abou 2GigHz, so would that mean your machine is running at 4GigHz?

please don't laugh, i'm new to the dual core setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom