Problems!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mentali$T

Daemon Poster
Ok i have 2 problems.

1:
When i boot up my pc it gets to the xp loading screen and then after that the screen goes completely black for ages. It will stay like this for about 3-4 minutes before getting to the login screen. Anyone else have this problem? Anyone know how to solve this problem?

2:
I am using a cd drive and a dvd drive from my old computer but when i try to use them at the same time in my new computer they dont work together. I can use either one seperatly just not at the same time which is weird as they used to work together.

With my old crappy computer i didnt have either of these problems :s

My specs are in my sig.

Re:

Hello,

Problem 1

Does this happen when you boot into Safe Mode? Try doing that first.

Next, try scanning your Hard Drive for errors. You'll need to boot into MS-DOS outside of Windows. Boot into your Windows XP Installation CD, and boot the Recovery Console. From there, type chkdsk x: /r, where x: is your Windows partition.

Problem 2

When you hooked up your second Hard Drive, did you Slave it? Make sure your primary CD-ROM drive connected to the Master IDE connector has its jumpers set to Master. and your Slaved CD drive's jumpers set to Slave.

Thanks for your reply.

1:
when i boot into safe mode yes it does take just as long. how do i know what my windows partition is called i just installed onto my blank hdd.

2:
its not the harddrives i have them working fine. its the cd and dvd drives. when i have them both in together they dont work. they only work seperatly.

1. try disabling your paging file, and also try deleting your prefetch
you can also set a DOS script to delete the prefetch on every shut down

2. make sure you have the master/slave jumpers set correctly.

how do i disable my paging file and prefetch?

and again how do i set the jumpers correctly?

this is the first time i have had this problem so im not sure. sorry.

thanks.

to disable paging file:
right click "my computer"
-> properties
-> advanced
-> settings - under "Performance"
-> advanced
-> change - under Virtual Memory
click "no paging file"
click "set" then "apply"
restart your computer

paging file is a part of the hard drive XP uses in place of RAM. but hard drives are much slower than RAM, so by disabling paging file, things should run faster.

prefetch is just copies of programs loaded by Windows on boot, so that if you wanted to run those programs, they are already in RAM.
however, what this does is take up more RAM (XP is pretty bad at managing RAM), and thus reducing overall performance.
it also slows boot-up time, because it is loading extra stuff.

you can set up a script to delete the prefetch every shutdown. you need 2000 Pro or XP Pro (not Home)
open notepad, and type in:
del C:\Windows\Prefetch\*.* /q
go to save as, give the file any name, but make sure it has the extension .bat (for example "file.bat") (you also need to select "all files" in the "Save as type" list)

go to start, run and run gpedit.msc (XP Home does not come with it)
under "computer configuration" go to "Windows Settings"
then go to "Scripts (Startup/Shutdown)"
go to "Shutdown"
in the new window, click "add"
browse to the file you created, and add it. then exit the group policy editor.

now, on every shutdown, the prefetch will be deleted.

Ok thanks i will do the first part of that but im on home now as my pro version screwed up and couldnt find the disk.

Thanks a lot!

Setting jumpers on Hard drives or optical drives is VERY easy. Take out both of the drives, and next to the MOLEX power connector, there is a group of pins, and a jumper connecting 2 of the pins together... This jumper can be moved to different pin sets, and there is usually a jumper settings Legond on that device. Sometimes it is on the label on the drive, sometime molded into the plastic above or below the pins. There are 3 basic settings you can have.

MASTER
SLAVE
CABLE SELECT

apokalipse said:
to disable paging file:
right click "my computer"
-> properties
-> advanced
-> settings - under "Performance"
-> advanced
-> change - under Virtual Memory
click "no paging file"
click "set" then "apply"
restart your computer

I restarted my computer and BAM it was loaded thanks a lot apakolipse!!!!

@ehteral_dragon thanks but i thought that was for my cd/dvd drives cos apokalipse didnt realise thats what i was talking about. thanks anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom