Cpu Fsb Speed And Memory Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

cell567

In Runtime
Ok i have a big question but before pardon my spelling and my grammer:D Ok...i was wondering if i were to get ram that is pc3200 400mhz and get a cpu like the 2800+ "barton" at the fsb of 333mhz, Wuld the ram run at the 333mhz while having the potential at runnning at 400 mhz but the cpu is declocking it OR will the ram run at 400mhz will the cpu will run at 333mhz. I need this help because i dunno if i shuld go kingston hyper x 2x512 pc2700 333mhz or kingston hyper x 2x512 pc3200 400 mhz. Thx for ne input guyz:D Also my mobo the Asus A7n8x-X supports 333mhz and 400 mhz ramand i wuld like to know if my mobo is a stable one for a system and i do not need ne extra features on it but to be stable,support ddr ram and the speed of 333mhz or 400 mhz and to have decent onboard sound. THX FOR ALL INPUTS AGAIN. ALSO THE MOBO HAS an Nforce2 chip and its a good price for me 104 cdn:D

Well first off, yes your right in thinking that if the FSB is 333mhz, that the RAM can only run as fast as 333mhz even if it's DDR400;)

I reckon the reason why the Mobo supports up to DDR400 is cause it can handle a 3200+ that has a 400mhz FSB:confused:

well liek half the ppl i asked said, that the memory will run at 333mhz but as a potential to run at 400 mhz if i...overclock. And then the other half said that it don matter of the fsb. Now im in a BUST BIG TIME!

no, if your processor is running 333Mhz your memory will not be underclcoked. it will still run 400Mhz. processor and memory have independant FSB, they do not have to synch.

Yeah go for it. You can set the memory to 333 or 400 benchmark em both. That board is great by the way. Lots of OC options and ASUS is a quality company.

yes, overclock your CPU FSB as high as it goes and reduce your mutiplier. pc3200 and pc2700 cost about the same......
so why get slower memory. memory can be underclocked and sometimes they are by default by motherboard.

cell567 said:
so is it worth to spend the xtra bucks for...pc3200 ???

Your Barton 2800 will probably be multiplier locked. If so the only way to overclock is by bumping up the fsb. (lock the pci/agp frequency of your bios allows). While you need only pc2700 for 333mHz fsb in theory, it won't hurt to get faster ram. It will help in the overclocking and allow a future 400 fsb processor for the guy you sell it to when you buy a socket 939 board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom