upgrading my RDRAM, help needed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

syarmin

Solid State Member
I am currently using an Intel850GB motherboard, with 4 RIMM slots for RDRAM in dual channel, 2 x 64Mb RDRAM PC800-40 is currently filling two slots, and the other slots have the CRIMM to ensure continuity. If I want to add more RDRAM in the available slot (in pair of course), do I have to :-

a) Get the exactly same RDRAM as in the first 2 slots (2 x 64Mb PC800-40ns)

b) Get a much bigger RDRAM but same "speed" (e.g. 2 x 128Mb, PC800-40ns)

c) Get any type of RDRAM of PC600 or PC800, with any speed (that is -40ns or -45ns).

I know that it is quite an outdated PC, and that I should just get a new PC, but at the moment I'm using it only for surfing Internet and the Winword, Excel, and playing Football Manager, bla bla bla... nothing that requires extremely fast, powerful PC, but still 128Mb is just too slow for that....

Somebody been telling me that -40ns and -45ns, can't work together... is this true? because, the only RDRAM I can find at the local store are the -45, and I'm using the -40... I tried finding more information on the Internet, but to no avail.

Anybody?
Thank you.

Well you have to make sure its the same speed and you can go with higher amount of it (128) but there is not garentee your mother board can read ram with that capacity. I wanted to but more ram into my systers computer. I got a 512 stick and it didnt read it. Then i took that back and purchased a 128 mb and it worked just fine. So you might just have to mess around with it a little.

socom,
my motherboard can take up to 2Gb of RAM. Looks like I have to really go out and look for the -40ns then. Thanks for your advice. Wish me luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom