Trying to install XP on new build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris_PC

In Runtime
OK after putting all of my components together and starting up amazingly it worked! Ive gone into BIOS and set the first boot device to CDROM etc.
After putting my XP CD into the drive and restarting I get an error message saying

Booting from CD:
boot disk failure, insert system disk and press enter

If i press enter nothing at all happens, please help!

and you dont see a message like "press any key to boot from cd" ?
in the bios on boot order does it show the optical drive name or only cdrom? , if only cdrom then it means it can boot only from the first optical drive depending on master/slave & ide channels ,whatever comes first.. try your other optical drive in that case (if you have more then 1 that is) , is the cd original?

It sais Insert system disk and press enter, if i press enter nothing happens.
It only sais CDROM not the actual optical drive name.
The drive is the only one in the case and its set to MASTER on IDE 1.(Its a Liteon SHM-165P6S-02C 16x DVD±RW/RAM

or you can rip your xp disc with nlite and check the " remove hit a key to boot from cd" option, then burn it back to disc.

OK, ive now got all that sorted but ive run into another problem.
While making the p[artitions etc i buggered up a bit and deleted ALL of them.
I went through the setup process again and there is now 1 Large partition(the whole HDD) and i am unable to make any other partitions. Ive now gone ahead and am in the process of formating the drive and installing win xp home.
I will then upgrade to win XP pro, is it possible to add partitions while installing xp PRO??

Create Partitions on the partitions page. you just have to delete the one that's there first

http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winxphome/installxpcdparallell/part1.htm

Image7.gif

By removing the partitions and formating you have destroyed any data on that drive. If you wanted partitions, you should of done that before the XP home install. Your other options are to redo everything or use partition magic once all installations are complete to shift the partitions around and make another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom