Buy a high end grafix card now or wait for the ones that will come out with Vista?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't take my word for it, just read various articles on the Internet. And don't believe what you read in forums, they are just opinions.

I'm much more concerned with the graphics cards that will be coming out when Vista arrives than Vista itself. I've read about it and so far it utterly fails to impress me. It seems that most of the features that would have made me excited about its release were cut right away. Besides, I wouldn't buy it until the first service pack came out which would add atleast another 6 months to whenever M$ decides to release it anyways.
Secondly, I don't see why DX10 wouldn't still work on XP. When XP first came out it used DX8, DX9 didn't come out for another 2-3 years and I could still play DX8 games and run my FX 5600 card on Windows 98se. But we'll see how it all plays out when Vista is actually released.

Hmm since Vista has been delayed until early 2007 for retailers, I'd say get a solid direct x9 card for now, it'll last you at least a year. Shoot for a 7600GT (mid-ranged card) if you think that will last you, or fork over an extra $100 for the 7900GT (high-end card), that is if you can find one.

Originally there should of been some Geforce 8 series cards out this summer, but don't expect them at least until fall, maybe even not until next january.

I don't know. I've been researching VISTA & DX10 for a few weeks straight now and everything i've seen or read says, "1st Quarter 2007" so that could be "JAN, FEB, MARCH". Then again the track record of MS could even push it back further. This is a HUGE upgrade. A total revamp. A major change in OS software. It's not just going to be easy and happen over night. I've also read that VISTA will only be available to OEM builders in that 1st Quarter. Who knows when online Etailers will get VISTA for resale.

My point is this: If you are a hardcore gamer and want the best for upcoming DX9c games, I would, "And have" go with a top-end card.
We've got atleast 8 months to a year before DX10 & VISTA. Then it's also unknown when DX10 games will even be available.

Plus, if you go with a high-end card now, and in 8-12 months you are ready to go DX10, you'll easily be able to sell that card to someone whom isn't going DX10, for a fairly decent price. Make some money back on the card.

Think about it this way. If you spend $250 on a mid end card now, and get minimal performance for the next year... then try to sell it, what are you going to get for a low-end "at that time" card "$75 or $100" may-be? Then you have to buy a new DX10 card. Let's say $500... If you do sell your card, it'll cost you $400 or so.

But, if you go with a say, "X1900XTX, they are like $489-OEM. USe that for the next 8-12 months. Resell it then for an easy $250, $300

You now got Highend performance for the next year until DX10 and VISTA and look you actually paid "$189 for Highend performance for a year" vs. "$150 for mid-end performance for a year." (Obviously this is based n your reselling ability) but i'd much rather spend an extra $39 for highend performance for a year.

lol that's like .11 cents a day....

SImple as this these threads have been out about this for a LONG time and answers clear as day are out there already. Point1 DX10 will be out AFTER Vista is released, period. Point2 DX10 will NOT be backwards compatible w/ XP because Microsoft wants everybody to upgrade. Point3 its best to get a good card now because Vista wont even be out for a while and i dont see why ppl are stressing about this.

I'd go with a high end card now. When the new stuff comes out........sell. It's hard telling at this point just how long we'll wait for vista and the likes anyway. Might as well have the best while you can. That my opinion anyway. Probably not the best, but hey...................who cares. LOL

Like I said, go with the 7600gt. How can you consider that just a mid range card? It outperforms a 6800gs. I think it should be considered lower high end because it is a fabulous card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom