to upgrade or to not upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidmonkey

In Runtime
hope this is in the right thread? anywho...

Hi everyone!!
My PC is now 1.5 years old and that time where I askÂ…should I sell it and get some cash or do some minor upgrades to get me through another year? I like to play games and do a bit of Photoshop, movie editing, multitask and have a dual display.

Current Specs

Athlon XP 2600+
1.25 Gig of DDR400 PC 3200
MB – Asus A7N8X-E (socket A CPU which I don’t think I can buy anymore?)
Nvidia GeForce 6800 GT (awesome vid card!!)
2 SATA HDÂ’s
2 IDE Only HDÂ’s

thanks in advance for your replies.

Well you can sell your motherboard/cpu and buy a new socket 939 motherboard and like a 3200+. Try and run your ram in dual channel. 1GB of ram in dual channel will do better than 1.25 not in dual channel.

EDIT: If you like multi-tasking then you might want to get a dual core CPU. There a bit expensive though.

i agree with reggie. Or you can wait a bit longer, save ur money, sell that computer, and build a whole new one altogehter.

reggie_da_man said:
Well you can sell your motherboard/cpu and buy a new socket 939 motherboard and like a 3200+. Try and run your ram in dual channel. 1GB of ram in dual channel will do better than 1.25 not in dual channel.

EDIT: If you like multi-tasking then you might want to get a dual core CPU. There a bit expensive though.

I like reggie_da_man's advice. I suggest that you try to follow what he says. Also is your 6800GT PCI-E or AGP?

thanks everyone,

after doing a heap of reading on athlon 64X2 cpu's and socket 939 MB's i think i will wait until x-mas for a main upgrade BUT in the meantime i'm going to buy 2 1Gig sticks of PC3200 DDR400 and a 300Gig HD to replace an older one.
then at x-mas i'm going to sell my old rig and get a new 939 MB, Athlon64 X2 cpu and the Geforce 7800 GTX 512MB.
hopefully by then the prices will have dropped a bit too. and if the new AM2 socket comes out by x-mas it will also help drive prices down a bit.

reggie_da_man said:
AGP. Socket A boards don't have PCI-e.

Okay, thanks. I wasn't really sure, but I figured it was AGP, but I just wanted to make sure and not post something that wasn't correct.

liquidmonkey said:
thanks everyone,

after doing a heap of reading on athlon 64X2 cpu's and socket 939 MB's i think i will wait until x-mas for a main upgrade BUT in the meantime i'm going to buy 2 1Gig sticks of PC3200 DDR400 and a 300Gig HD to replace an older one.
then at x-mas i'm going to sell my old rig and get a new 939 MB, Athlon64 X2 cpu and the Geforce 7800 GTX 512MB.
hopefully by then the prices will have dropped a bit too. and if the new AM2 socket comes out by x-mas it will also help drive prices down a bit.

That sounds like a feasible plan.

Drop the idea of the 7800gtx 512mn and pick up either a 7900gtx or a x1900xtx. Also look at a new PSU as well.

@ridlyn

why? is the 512 no good?
one thing that i always wondered was why it took so long for a 512 Vid card to come out. weird or is it just me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom