Whats will Run Faster?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, All A64 mchines will do it.
The memory controller can only control 4 sides (2 sticks) of ram

Nemesis1331 said:
What RAM setup will ultimately run fastest?

2 x 1GB DDR400 RAM

4 x 512 MB DDR400 RAM
The 4x512 will run faster, since the sticks are smaller and you'll probably be able to run at least 2 of those in dual-channel. It's like having to search through four thin volumes, rather than 2 phonebooks.

However, you can reverse this by choosing a dual-channel pair of 1gb sticks that have ultra low latencies, so the extra speed will actually make them perform better. The caveat here is that the faster the RAM latencies, the more expensive they are. You could easily spend over $200-300 on a matched pair of low-latency 1gb RAM sticks.

Re: Re: Whats will Run Faster?

ShoobieRat said:
The 4x512 will run faster, since the sticks are smaller and you'll probably be able to run at least 2 of those in dual-channel. It's like having to search through four thin volumes, rather than 2 phonebooks.

However, you can reverse this by choosing a dual-channel pair of 1gb sticks that have ultra low latencies, so the extra speed will actually make them perform better. The caveat here is that the faster the RAM latencies, the more expensive they are. You could easily spend over $200-300 on a matched pair of low-latency 1gb RAM sticks.

There ya go...

I have 4x512, both sets running in dual channel...it only cost me $110 CAD, for another 1GB, and my system is way faster....I have an ASUS/pentium setup with pc3200 ram ddr.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom