450W Q-tec PSU. (i know its crap)
Abit AV8 3rd eye. 939
2gb corsair value ram DDR400 (2x1gb) Dual chan
AMD 64 3800 - 939
WD 200 IDE HD
Ati Saphire 9800Pro AGPx8 128mb
Windows XP SP 2

The pc works fine on desktop, but when entering a game -
i.e. Battlefield2 / NFS2 infact any game.
After what seems to be an intermitent time could be 10 secs could be 20 mins the PC shutsdown in game and doesnt restart. I have tried evey test under the sun. And im at a loss.. Is it a faulty mobo.. the 3rd eye code just says FF. Windows error says : this could be CPU, PSU, RAM, Mainboard.. well thanks microsoft.

Replaced the PSU with confirmed working PSU = still crash.
Replaced 9800 with X800 pro = Still crash
Memtest on RAM 2 hours no errors.
Prime95 touturetest on CPU no errors after 30 mins.
Set RAM to DDR333 = Still crash
Flashed bios to lastest version = crash
Updated all mobo drivers / GPU drivers = still crash
Checked all leads/connectors = still crash.
Reinstalled and formatted windows 3 times :)
No virus/No spyware.

Found one forum with one thread a lil simlar to this, hes saying he set his gpu to x4 agp??? tried this still crash...

I am utterly at a loss, really dont want to have to by a new mobo but if thats the case i have to be 100% that its the mobo causing the issue. Dam VIA abit... Nforce for me from now on.

is your processor overclocked?

FF stands for Fully Functional

both video cards you mentioned have a power connector , a plug must be connected to it for stability , is it connected?

you mentioned you tried another psu , what brand/model was it? if you meant by "confirmed working" that it was working fine in your friends pc that doesnt mean anything , as it all depends on the power consumption of all parts

download everest
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html
get into computer-->sensor and take a screenshot

30mins in prime95 is defintly not enough you should let it run for several hours at least , which one of the 3 tests in the torture test did you do? i suggest youll do the "in-place large fft's" , and while doing it monitor the voltages/temperature with everest

Voltage test that mobo/psu. Check all the mobo capacitors for leakage and bulging. Using a multimeter, test all the ground wires on the 20 pin and 12v rail. If you have more than .0010 volts on ground you have probably got a bad mobo and it is back leaking voltage.

thanks for the input guys..

The PSU we used is fully functional.
The GPU's were correctly connected.

I belive we have fixed the issue - there was an option in the bios that has no aparent affect on the AGP or described within the manual. Its default setting is Disabled when set to AUTO the system has yet to crash - i will keep u posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom