Please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakob

Beta member
I'm writing this post as a last resort. I've tried everything and now it's time to pick your brains. I'll describe to you my problem.

I recently tried to overclock my comp. I changed some of the settings in my bios and cmos and eventually had to restart the computer. After restarting, the computer wouldn't bootup. It would reach "memory frequency:" and not go any further. (I have phoenix bios by the way.) I would sit there for several minutes and it was obvious the computer was not going to boot up. I decided I somehow screwed up my bios so I decided to reset it. I did so by moving the jumper on the motherboard to reset the bios and move it back.

This is where my problems really began. After moving the jumper on the motherboard and putting it back, I turned on the computer. Nothing. It wouldn't even POST. No beeps, no video, no nothing. It just sat there. It would power up and fans would move but nothing else. Since this happend I've tried several things including removing the battery from the motherboard for 30 minutes hoping to reset the bios. Nothing.

This is what's unusual. When all the components are plugged into the computer (hard drive, cd rom, cpu, ram, video card, etc), I get no beeps and I cannot turn the computer on and off with the power button. Just the fans move and power is on. It doesn't POST.

However, when I remove all components except the cpu and one stick of ram, I get one beep, over and over. If I connect other pieces like the hard drive or cd rom, I get another set of beeps. In addition, I can turn off the computer with the power button on the front of the case.

But, when I finally connect the video card, I get no beeps and cannot turn off the computer with the power button. It's like it freezes up on me.

Now, before you say it's my video card, I have another computer that I tested the card on, and it works fine. I also took the video card from the other computer and stuck it in the computer that isn't working. Nothing.

So my question is, what am I doing wrong? I've tried resetting the bios. I've removed the battery from the motherboard. I've tested my video card and it's working. I cannot help but think I have a bios problem but I can't reset it and I can't flash it because my computer won't even POST. Please help.

Okay, I've put the memory in my other rig and it runs fine. I'm assuming now that I can rule out the video card, ram, floppy, cd rom, sound card, and hard drive. That leaves the cpu, power supply and motherboard. I don't think it's the power supply since the computer has no problem powering up. That leaves the cpu and motherboard. Any ideas?

Assuming that the only thing you changed on the motherboard
was the switch to clear the bios, and assuming that you got
the switch back on the correct place, you need to start by
unplugging and replugging the power supply connections.
Only plug in the motherboard connections. Leave the
harddrive, cd, floppy, etc unplugged.

You need to concentrate on the minimum parts need to
boot the computer. You need the motherboard, processor
and fan, memory and video. Make sure what the memory
requirements are for you computer. In other words, does
it require two memory chips or will it run with just 1. If it
will run with 1 then use one that you know is good by
testing it in the other computer. You know you have
a good video card and good memory. The only things
left are motherboard and processor.

This sounds like a board or processor problem but
at least double check everything to make sure.

I appreciate everyone's ideas. Unfortunetly, I have not been able to figure out this problem. It looks like I'll need to buy a new mobo or cpu. I've now done everything that everyone has suggested but to no avail. Thanks everyone for your imput.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom