graphics cards 6600GT or 6600 (or lower)

Status
Not open for further replies.
the case i want to get is saturn cetus.

saturn case review

its cheap for NZ, at around $80 from ascent computers which dont' charge for postage. however, out of stock until 3rd may.

This case is a bit on the small side, and cable management will be a little tight, but i plan to do the best i can do to hide the cables. I will plan to get a wd raptor 74GB in the future to replace the pata drive.

I plan to only have 2 hard drives in the drive bay, and i was concerned about air intake in the front, having many obstacles in the wayl, so i will cut out the mesh grill in the front fan bay, and also cut out at least 2 rails in the drive bay so that air can move over the drives without much interferrence and noise. Also will remove the stamped grill at the back of the case, and put a chrohme wire grill there too to reduce noise and increase airflow.

Plus, i will put a 12 cm fan up top of case (cut a blowhole) and also have a 12 cm fan blowing in the from side (again, cut a blowhole and add filter), i will position this so it is beneath the level of the graphics card, so the airflow will be cold air from below, cooling gfx, chipset, then cpu, then hot air exhausting up the top. i like to decouple the fans from the case itself, so i'm thinking about using rubber grommets and spacers to attach the the fan to the side panel to limit the vibration and noise.

I think the air flow in the case should be quite good then.

It seems everyone is missing something! Its propably too late now, but all of you are looking to put a PCI-e graphics card into what has to be a AGP Mobo! Or am I not reading properly?

no the mobo i have here is a dfi-lanparty ultra-d. i just haven't got the graphics card or the case yet.

the system on my sig is my one i'm using now to type up this. Parts of that will be put into the new system, such as psu, ram, hdd, optical drives.

alsyed said:
the case i want to get is saturn cetus.

saturn case review

its cheap for NZ, at around $80 from ascent computers which dont' charge for postage. however, out of stock until 3rd may.

This case is a bit on the small side, and cable management will be a little tight, but i plan to do the best i can do to hide the cables. I will plan to get a wd raptor 74GB in the future to replace the pata drive.

I plan to only have 2 hard drives in the drive bay, and i was concerned about air intake in the front, having many obstacles in the wayl, so i will cut out the mesh grill in the front fan bay, and also cut out at least 2 rails in the drive bay so that air can move over the drives without much interferrence and noise. Also will remove the stamped grill at the back of the case, and put a chrohme wire grill there too to reduce noise and increase airflow.

Plus, i will put a 12 cm fan up top of case (cut a blowhole) and also have a 12 cm fan blowing in the from side (again, cut a blowhole and add filter), i will position this so it is beneath the level of the graphics card, so the airflow will be cold air from below, cooling gfx, chipset, then cpu, then hot air exhausting up the top. i like to decouple the fans from the case itself, so i'm thinking about using rubber grommets and spacers to attach the the fan to the side panel to limit the vibration and noise.

I think the air flow in the case should be quite good then.
Do what you gotta do for air flow also get a HDD cooler for that raptoe if you ever do get one which I dont suggest in that case becuase of its size.That HD will genertate alot! of heat.Anyways the top hole be a good addition too and it should be fine with 12cm front and rear fan slots.

alsyed said:
no the mobo i have here is a dfi-lanparty ultra-d. i just haven't got the graphics card or the case yet.

the system on my sig is my one i'm using now to type up this. Parts of that will be put into the new system, such as psu, ram, hdd, optical drives.

I wouldn't get that case. It looks like its some kind of generic case that is make out of cheap stuff. There was a nice iCute case on trademe with dual 80mm blue neon fans at the front of it for $80.

unfortunately nintek won't ship to New Zealand :( otherwise they would probably be best. i've seen some 6800gs's advertised cheap in the saturday paper here. if NZ is anything like Australia your pc shops may have good specials on on weekends that are worth looking into. round here if you want to buy pc parts retail its always best on the weekend because guaranteed there is a sale every weekend

cyrax said:
I wouldn't get that case. It looks like its some kind of generic case that is make out of cheap stuff. There was a nice iCute case on trademe with dual 80mm blue neon fans at the front of it for $80.

You aren't selling that case are you by any chance? :D

i've sort of changed my mind over and over with cases. I saw this, and i read numerous reviews - check out this link from newegg.

thermaltake sviking

that case is identical internally - yet people complained about the top drive bay.

This saturn case has all the features i require - i will put my own queit 12cm fans in it - what i like most is that it has many features of the more expensive cases, and a great front door idea. And top usb is also a great feature for me since i keep my case down on the floor by my feet. I had to modify my case here now, and attach the front usb ports at the top.

I hate flashing blue lights and stuff - i used to be into that stuff, but i prefer to have darkness when i sleep at night and the pc is still on. And i just want the case to look simple.

it will only fill up with dust if you don't have dust filters. I have these aluminium frame dust filters, and they work great. I'm going to have those on the side intake fan mod, and the front fan, comes with a removable filter too.

after a bit of hunting around i have come across this 6600GT which is a more known brand asus, and its quite a bit cheaper than the c1com galaxy tech.

what do you guys think of this one?

Asus Extreme n6600GT

some of the reviews say that the fan on that one can be loud. Though noise is all relative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom