Deleting Certain Folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtpacygax

Banned
Hi, when I installed Windows XP I had some folders in the program files folder that had nothing in them. Mainly what I am talking about are these: the ComPlus Applications, microsoft frontpage, and xerox folders. I was wondering what is the point of these folders? Also, is it safe to delete them? Thanks.

The Xerox folder contains hidden files, probably containing drivers for the Xerox printers.

The Frontpage folder contains files for Netmeeting.

ComPlus is for if you are using Dial-Up.

You'd better not delete those, unless you are running extermely low on HD space.

Do you think I could just make them all hidden so I don't have to look at them? And, if ComPlus is for dial-up, and I have cable, I don't need it then right?

I too would not touch them unless you are down to 2MB free disk space. If they are simply "annoying" to you then yes I say make them hidden and set your folder options not to display hidden items :)

I wanted to remove NetMeeting from my Windows XP machine. So I found this command that should do the trick:
%systemroot%\system32\rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection NetMtg.Remove 132 msnetmtg.inf

BUT whenever I ran that command all the Netmeetings files were deleted but suddenly reappeared after a few seconds. **** annoying! It's due to the Windows File Protection feature.

So to really remove Netmeeting from your system do this:
1. Compare the Netmeeting directory with the %systemroot%\ServicePackFiles\i386\ directory and delete the duplicate files in the %systemroot%\ServicePackFiles\i386\ directory.
2. Do this same with the %systemroot%\system32\dllcache\ directory.
3. Now there should't be any backup Netmeeting files for the Windows File Protection feature to restore from.
4. Now do Start -> Run -> %systemroot%\system32\rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection NetMtg.Remove 132 msnetmtg.inf and Netmeeting is gone.
5. When the Windows File Protection alert pops up press Cancel and then Ok to avoid the Netmeeting files being copied from the Windows XP CD.

Remember it's always a good idea to run a registry cleanup after an uninstall. I love the jv16 PowerTools.

I still haven't found a way to remove the empty microsoft frontpage, MSN Gaming Zone and xerox directories.

Before I use it, I read this as some of the features:

Registry cleaner
Advanced features to remove unused and old entries, including File Extensions, ActiveX Controls, ClassIDs, ProgIDs, Uninstallers, Shared DLLs, Fonts, Help Files, Application Paths, Icons, Invalid Shortcuts and more... also comes with a comprehensive backup feature.

I am a little confused, it deletes your fonts and uninstallers? Isn't that bad, because then I can't uninstall things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom