Will they work?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No or badly

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
oh great. i just finished building it about 6 hours ago, and just installing the stock fan was difficult as this is my first time. but now i got more problems. im using my 2 hard drives from my old pc and when i booted up and it started loadin xp it said hal.dll was missin or corrupt! so i couldnt do anything with that. i couldnt find the xp disk but found home edition. so after moving files from one harddrive to the other i instaled xp home onto the blank hdd. (continued...)

... then when i got to the desktop it was just as if only the one hdd (with os on) was there. the other hdd war there cos it was in my computer with all the files but none of these were in the start menu. i was wonderin if putting the 2 hdd's in raid 0 would fix it. and on the hdd with "my documents" in (without os) i couldnt access those files. so would raid work?

Ok sorry i didnt explain to well. Right i have 2 hdd's from my old computer. when i put them into my new computer i had the problems with XP pro. i installed XP home onto the blank hdd so the hdd with all of my programs on it is the slave hdd. When i booted up and got to my desktop none of my programs from the slave hdd were in the programs menu and when i go to "my computer" and into the hdd with all my programs on all the programs are there but they dont work.

of course they won't work.....they weren't installed within this windows installation. the only reason programs show up in the start menu is because it knows where they are when you install them within that windows. you will have to re-install your programs. if you right click on the my documents link and click properties it will come up with the properties window. in the properties window it will tell you the path to where "my documents" is at the moment. click "move" and change it to the original "my documents folder" on your other hdd.

ok then. i wasnt sure it would work. as long as i can get to my documents cos it has gcse coursework on! thanks for ur help nitestick.

Mentali$T said:
... then when i got to the desktop it was just as if only the one hdd (with os on) was there. the other hdd war there cos it was in my computer with all the files but none of these were in the start menu. i was wonderin if putting the 2 hdd's in raid 0 would fix it. and on the hdd with "my documents" in (without os) i couldnt access those files. so would raid work?
hal.dll = hardware abstract layer
basically, it is a file containing information about your hardware.
it will not work on different hardware
but if you want to use your existing XP setup, you will have to do a repair-install

nitestick said:
if you right click on the my documents link and click properties it will come up with the properties window. in the properties window it will tell you the path to where "my documents" is at the moment. click "move" and change it to the original "my documents folder" on your other hdd.

I cant get this to work. when i go into properties is just tells me the path of it and there is no option to move it :S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom