3800+ or 4400+?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ill sell you mine if you really want it, but i hope your not going for likes 3.4ghz speeds because thats what i wanted and i can only go to 2.8 stable.

so its your choice, id go with the opty though.

Don't be fooled by the whole "it can't reach 4800+ speeds because it doesn't have 2 x 1MB cache". While yes, it has 2 x 512kb cache, the performance wouldn't be noticable. It's starting to get annoying that people keep telling other people that the Opty 165 will "overclock 2 times as much as the X2" because that is totally untrue. A 3800+ can OC to the same range as the 165.

Just to let you people know s939 Opterons are Athlon 64s and are not "higher quality silicon". They are clocked lower making them more stable (which is important if your running a server).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_Opteron#Multi-core_Opterons

Go down to where it says Low-end: Socket 939. It will tell you that the single core Opterons are Athlon 64 San Diego cores, it doesn't tell you though that the dual-core Opterons are Toledo cores.

OPTERON 165 definitey of if your going to OC, dont even think about the 4200+, its garbage. heres a suggestoin, between now and when you order, read A LOT about OCing, then buy the Opteron 165, and u can get it to minimum 2.4GHz on stock cooling, 2 guys here got theirs to 2.8Ghz on stock cooling, you can go higher on liquide cooling im sure, probably past 3GHz.

4200's aren't crap, they're...just not worth it.

Jesus John3, you've got a lot of posts in under 2 months!!

I'd either get the Opty or the 4400+. by the time u save for the 4400+ the new socket will be out (or almost out) and the price will most likely drop on all the s939 CPUs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom