Folders That Won't Go Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtpacygax

Banned
Hi, I have been wondering if there is anyway to totally remove folders that are in my program files folder such as outlook express, msn gaming zone, netmeeting, movie maker, etc. I have deleted these folders many times using a program called Unlocker. However, these folders come back everytime I reboot my PC. How do I get rid of them so I never have to see them again?

You cant remove those folders, because Windows requires them to operate.

Windows has a Temp folder containing Apps, and when you delete the apps, they get recovered.

Re:

Hello,

Are there any files in those folders? Have you uninstalled the programs using Add or Remove Programs in control panel, or is it that you want these programs removed from your computer?

Well, first of all I already uninstalled these programs from my computer, so all that is left over are the empty folders. I don't like it when there are a lot of folders on the screen, I like to organize my folders, and with all these empty folders it is annoying.

So to really remove Netmeeting from your system do this:
1. Compare the Netmeeting directory with the %systemroot%\ServicePackFiles\i386\ directory and delete the duplicate files in the %systemroot%\ServicePackFiles\i386\ directory.
2. Do this same with the %systemroot%\system32\dllcache\ directory.
3. Now there should't be any backup Netmeeting files for the Windows File Protection feature to restore from.
4. Now do Start -> Run -> %systemroot%\system32\rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection NetMtg.Remove 132 msnetmtg.inf and Netmeeting is gone.
5. When the Windows File Protection alert pops up press Cancel and then Ok to avoid the Netmeeting files being copied from the Windows XP CD.

Remember it's always a good idea to run a registry cleanup after an uninstall. I love the jv16 PowerTools.

I still haven't found a way to remove the empty microsoft frontpage, MSN Gaming Zone and xerox directories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom