Ghosting HD to a completely different machine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the info so far guys!

As Win2kpatcher said, sometimes it does an endless reboot ctyle and other times it just doesn't even boot to XP or even try to.

If I did do the repair on the OS, would I only have to install windows XP updates? What about service packs for XP pro? Anything on non-OS software as well?

Also, Win2kpatcher, if you don't mind could you elaborate on how you do it?

Thanks!
Jim

Edit:
Can there be some more in depth definition of Symantec Live State Recovery? Could I use it with my situation?

There is a lot factors you have to consider when doing a repair from a ghost image restore. I will answer your service pack question with these factors.

The ORIGINAL PC that you made the ghost image will determine your service pack level. If you installed Windows XP with service pack 1 embeded in the install you must use that SAME XP level when you do the repair...it simply wont work if you try and repair the OS with say a XP CD with SP2 embeded. If you did install XP from a CD with SP2 embeded then you can run a repair with that same CD and it will retain SP2 upon boot.

You will have to run ALL windows updates again. Also the drivers for that machine will have to installed since they were not there on the original ghost image. As far as software goes I have had NO issues in my ventures with software not working. I had about 15 pieces of software in one image (Office 2003, Virus Scan, Adobe CS Suite, Macromedia Suite, and some of our proprietary software etc etc) and they all worked fine after the repair.

Win2kpatcher said:
The ORIGINAL PC that you made the ghost image will determine your service pack level. If you installed Windows XP with service pack 1 embeded in the install you must use that SAME XP level when you do the repair...it simply wont work if you try and repair the OS with say a XP CD with SP2 embeded. If you did install XP from a CD with SP2 embeded then you can run a repair with.

I'm pretty sure the XP cd we have is just XP pro, no service packs as we had to install SP1 and SP2 afterwards. With that, if I did the repair with the XP cd I have that doesn't have any SPs on it, does this mean I would have to reinstall SP1 and SP2 or would it just not work at all?

Question, using sysprep, would that help me out in any way with my situation?

Just for clarification, these computers are not on a network because I volunteer for a local organization that receives old computers and brings them up to par software wise and then redistributes them to those in need of a computer. The old method they used to use was to format, install xp, install sp1 + sp2, install office 2k3, sp1 for 2k3, and finally norton antivirus. That method took quite some time to do, especially on old P3's. Hopefully I can get this all clarified so I can help them out.

Your situation is a bit ackward. You have to stop and ask yourself a few questions and of course see what is more time consuming. That is

A) Do you make a ghost image of a machine with said software above, distribute this image to your PC's and have to run a repair on all of them, still have to install service packs, still have to install security updates, and still have to install drivers or

B) Make a slip streamed CD with SP2 imbeded and all security updates, install office 2003, and Norton Antivirus.

I personally would go with option B in your scenario as it seems it would be less time consuming. As for sysprep that would not help you at all in your situation.

On a final note you do not need to install SP1 then SP2 on top of that. You can simply install SP2 and it has everything SP1 did plus the SP2 items just like any service pack you dont have to install them one by one just the latest one which will contain all the previous service packs embeded :)

Alright I see what you mean haha. The slip streamed cd would only contain xp w/ SP2 and all the updated correct? I'd still have to install the other programs, by any chance could all of it be done on one installation, if it were say on a dvd or something? If not it's quite alright, this is going to save us a lot of time regardless =]

Well yes and no...Nlite (the program that you slip stream service packs and hotfixes with) offers what they call "Add-ons" these add-ons are various pieces of software that you can embed in the install. I have not figured out how to create my own Add-on which would be nice!! but there is a wide range of available Add-ons that you could choose from (adaware, spybot etc etc). Maybe someone knows how to create add-ons for nlite?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom