Windows Vista Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
While nearly every current PC will be able to run Windows Vista, only half will be able to take full advantage of all of it's features, a recent study by research firm Gartner suggests. In turn, the firm is urging IT managers to take caution when ordering new PCs.

Today's average processor and hard drive should be sufficient to install and use Vista, Gartner says. However, a newer graphics card is likely required if the user wishes to take advantage of the Aero user interface, and the computer should have at least 1GB of memory installed for the operating system to run smoothly.

While some may be shocked at Gartner's lofty hardware requirements for Vista, Microsoft's own recommendations is not far off. The Redmond company has similar guidelines, although says 512MB of RAM should suffice.

Vista Logo Requirements And The First PC For This OS

Last weekend Microsoft held an event for its partners to increase its ready PC sales this year, especially during the traditionally profitable Chrismas season. As you remember, the release of Windows Vista moved to January 2007 causes concerns as a key reason for possible PC demand drop this year.

At the moment the Vista Logo Requirements are in their version 0.8, expected to reach the final version, according to Microsoft, by the end of June this year. As there are three primary components that dictate PC rating - CPU, memory, graphics - there supposed to be 3 logos in whole:

Windows Vista Capable (OS can be installed and work with some features disabled)
Windows Vista Ready (OS can work with all the key features enabled, including the Aero interface)
Windows Vista Compliant (premium and most performing PCs).
The already familiar Designed for Windows XP logo will also continue to exist.

According to the information we have now, a Windows Vista Capable PC is to feature 512MB RAM, DirectX 9 graphics (including integrated). The second and third segments will respectively require 512MB RAM (1GB optional) and 1GB RAM (2GB optional). No integrated graphics is allowed to these groups as well. Vista Ready will also require the support of the yet unreleased DirectX 9.0L, while Vista Compliant will require Shader Model 2.0 support as a must. This last requirement doens't seem very clear, we believe they mean the compatibility with DirectX 9.0L, not its complete support (we're talking about average PCs, mind you). Besides, Aero interface will require 1,800 MB/s and higher graphics memory throughput. So a 64MB card will only be able to operate at 1024x768, higher resolution demanding 128MB.

Speaking of CPU, Microsoft mentioned it should be modern. Intel claimed the minimal recommended CPU for Vista should be Pentium 4 630. As you remember, it operates at 3GHz, has 2MB L2 and 800MHz FSB. However, with this rather powerful CPU Intel recommends its 945G integrated graphics.

Note that these requirements do not mention DirectX 10 (WGF) that is obviously meant not to scare away fall and winter buyers. Perhaps, the DirectX Next itself will also be delayed and won't be launched together with Vista.

Meanwhile, some especially impatient vendors do not wait for Microsoft's final requirements. Epson was the first to announce its Windows Vista Capable PC - Endeavour Pro 3500:

Intel Pentium 4 630
Intel 975X
GeForce 6600 GT
512MB DDR2
80GB
Gigabit Ethernet
6 x USB 2.0

As you can see, it's a rather usual PC of today, while its hard drive might even seem outdated. However its configuration is actually categorized as the least performing required.

what is the installation sequence of vista 5342? I tried to install it but when it restarts im greeted with just black when it is supposed to boot up. I am unsure if it finished installation.

waynejkruse10 said:
what is the installation sequence of vista 5342? I tried to install it but when it restarts im greeted with just black when it is supposed to boot up. I am unsure if it finished installation.

I had the same problem

no its not out, most people in this thread say there offical "testers" to find bugs and thing so they get to use it for free, but then are the people that registered with microsoft to be a beta tester, also free but legal, if you catch my drift.
i dont know if thier is even a leaked version but i wouldnt want to try anyway. i think thier is a windows blinds skin that has the toolbar desings and stuff if you want to look that up, too much spyware for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom