$4-500 to spend...

Status
Not open for further replies.
did you actually look at Ethereal_Dragon's post, you could afford the main parts of an AMD system and re-use some parts from your celeron rig.

for internet surfing, mild gaming (mostly on the net), and burning dvds, a celeron really fits my needs, and costs half what AMD would charge...
i would also like to point out that last time i checked a sempron 3000+ was cheaper than a celeron 2.8ghz, no prizes for guessing which one performs better.

I would really just build a new system. Your system right now is pretty outdated, it would really be good to get a new mobo/cpu. A new CPu that's 2 times as expensive as a Celeron would KILL it.

i wont take a sledgehammer to my system until 5 years, when it dies out.

also it was a gift...so u know...

he has $436,41 USD, AMD beats intels cpus, especially celerons. even if you dont game Athlon64s are great performers and you computers speed will greatly increase. dont be naive go AMD.

ok, my computer is now fried (see off-topic post).

Now what should i do? buy a new PC?

I was thinking of buying a Pentium 3 1Ghz, that is decent enough to run XP, and upgrade the RAM on it, maybe add video.

well there are used AMD's, but they are Durons, and thats basically a celeron, just renamed. (i have used a Duron, and they're slow).

Ethereal_Dragon said:
Here you go.....

DFI RS482 Infinity ATI Socket 939 and AMD 64 3200+ OEM - $300.99 after rebate
OCZ Value Dual Channel 1024MB PC3200 (2 x 512MB) - $104.99

Those are really all you would need to upgrade to a decent AMD gaming system.... It it just over $400 (I am guessing Canadian) and it is the Canada site for Tiger Direct.

The motherboard has integrated video & sound, and a PCI express expansion slot for a better video card.
eVGA GeForce 6800 XT / 256MB DDR - $122.99 after rebate

EDIT: You can use the same Hard Drive & optical drives from your old system, but the HDD would have to be formated.

Maybe you passed over my previous post.....

hold on...

what would be a decent PC, for basic internet surfing, and THATS IT...

a pentium 3 would do that job?

yes it would but trust me $600 invested in dragon's rig will do basic better than ant celeron, even though thats all you want to do, in 2 or 3 or 4 years you will want to upgrade and might not want to buy a new machine. the AMD rig is future proof and will pay for itself in the long run. trust me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom