$4-500 to spend...

Status
Not open for further replies.
if you don't do gaming then you might not need that video card and integrated might be good.. but that Celeron is porbably doing most of the holding back. LEAVE THE CELERON BEHIND! time to move on. go for athlon 64. if you want to stick with celeron because you just love the name, then well you're choosing crap over gold. if you really want 2 Gbs lemme see what i can do...

ok here it goes.. i downgraded your video card and updated the ram. there is a mail in rebate for the ram.. it'll be more than $500 but after the rebate it'll be under. note that the mobo is on a 1 day sale.. if it goes up a lot later then just get the MSI k8N - Neo4.

asus mobo $77

x800gto $89

fsp 450watt PSU $51

G.SKILL Value Series 2GB (2 x 1GB) 2-3-2-5 $183 - $50mail in rebate = $133

venice 3000+ $119

total: $518.96 = $50mail in rebate = $468.96

thats a pretty good system. if you don't like mail in rebates, then there's this ram you can get:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231047 $141

that would bring your total to $476.96 without any mail in rebates. if you DO like mail in rebates, then you can also get a 6800xt video card which will come out to $89 after the mail in rebate.

if you stick with celeron then you're a fool! FOOOL!! :p

i'm beginning to suspect that the video card i chose there is a x800GT NOT a x800GTO ... not sure tho. does newegg often make mistakes like that..?

edit: well that was really dumb of me.. the pics of the box it says GTO.. and i checked sapphire website and they have 2 versions of the GTO.... i guess this is the crappier version.. still good tho..

Hello, people! Talldude is in Canada, so NewEgg won't be of much use to him...

What I did was gut my old computer and get upgradeable new parts and slowly upgrade everything. Your socket is old so get a new mobo, processor, and vid card (I have an X700 PRO and it runs every game I've thrown at it, even FEAR), and make sure the ram is compatible, e.g. DDR or DDR2, for that reason and the gaming, try to go with AMD.

Try a socket 939 mobo. Since your computer is an older one you can stick with the DDR standard and your current RAM should be backwards compatible (not fo sho, but pretty sure, I haven't dealt with AMD-based chipsets much, but like AMD's performance in gaming) so you can upgrade that in the future.

When you get the money in the future, you can get cheap value RAM for about $90-$100 a Gig. Check my sig, it's not the fastest, but it gets the job done.

P.S. Don't feel bad about owning a celeron, I got one too. But right now I'm waiting on a new mobo to throw in a pentium d 820. But I want an AMD bad!

Trotter said:

well he didn't say anything.. the other guy used newegg and he didn't say anything so i just folowed suit.... so is that $500 canadian?! cuz then you're lookin at a much crappier computer...

Trotter said:

thanks for pointing that out Trotter.

How much would it cost for a new hard drive (over 100GB) and a decent video card?

Here you go.....

DFI RS482 Infinity ATI Socket 939 and AMD 64 3200+ OEM - $300.99 after rebate
OCZ Value Dual Channel 1024MB PC3200 (2 x 512MB) - $104.99

Those are really all you would need to upgrade to a decent AMD gaming system.... It it just over $400 (I am guessing Canadian) and it is the Canada site for Tiger Direct.

The motherboard has integrated video & sound, and a PCI express expansion slot for a better video card.
eVGA GeForce 6800 XT / 256MB DDR - $122.99 after rebate

EDIT: You can use the same Hard Drive & optical drives from your old system, but the HDD would have to be formated.

no offence talldude but i had a high opinion of you until you said this
as you can see by my sig, i am never staying away from celeron, ive used them since they were invented

there is absolutely no logic behind it. if you can afford a rig like what was reccomended for the love of god take it. celeron's are crippled and there is no point maintaining one when you have the money to build an entire new pc that will considerably outstrip the one you have

for internet surfing, mild gaming (mostly on the net), and burning dvds, a celeron really fits my needs, and costs half what AMD would charge...

And if i went to the AMD world, i would need a whole new PC...and i would have to wait a few years to get $1500 for a new system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom