SATA Trouble, please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RajivS

Beta member
I'm totally in the dark here, so I really hope someone can help me out.
The problem is the following:

I was running a configuration with one S-ATA HD, a western digital WD800JD. Needed more space so I ordered a second WD800JD.

Installed it and the pc wouldn't boot or even recognize the new drive. In fact it wouldn't even recognize the older one when the new drive was connected.

Thought that was a bit strange so I disconnected the original drive and tried the new one on it's own, just to see if it would work on the primary S-ATA channel and to eliminate the possibility of any conflicts between the two drives.

Still, the drive wasn't found so I RMA'd it, got a new drive and had the exact same problem...
RMA'd it again and now my pc atleast tries to boot with the two drives connected. But the second drive is still not found and I get the BSOD during boot.

I updated the mobo bios and tried to get the drive to work by disconnecting about everything else, including the original WD800JD, and booting from the xp cd with the manufacturers raid driver disk. Still nothing. The drive isn't found in setup nor in the raid config utility

Now what I just can't understand is, how can it be that my computer just won't recognize the new drive while the other one's just fine???
I would say the drive needs to be RMA'd, the only thing is, it's already the third drive they sent me...

Thanks for reading this :)

Asus K8V-X socket 754
AMD Athlon 64 3000+
Ati Radeon 9800 pro
1GB Corsair ram
WD800JD 80GB S-ATA (working)
WD800JD 80GB S-ATA (not working)

Unfortunately the WD800JD is a SATA 1 drive. So, no jumpers should be required as far as I know. They weren't included anyway. My other WD800JD works fine without any jumpers.

It was a jumper setting after all.
Had to limit the HD to 150mb/s for some reason.
But It works now :) still isn't recognized by windows but I guess that won't be so much trouble anymore. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom