Building First computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

viper15

Baseband Member
I am going to try to build a computer over the summer. I will use it for: 1) I am homeschooled and I record ,via sattilite video, classes. I have a wintv tuner card.
2) I am a mild gamer. I don't play first person games like doom 3 and half-life. I do play simulation,Flight Sim 2004, NFS Underground 2, NFS Most Wanted. Strategy, command and conquer generals, Rise of nations, AOE 3 Star Wars Empire At War.
3) I burn school on DVDs for my sis.
4) Internet.
5)I hook it up to sattilite tv and record movies

What I need to know is:1) Amd64 Or P4( I dont have enough $$$ to get a dual core)
2) How good of a Video Card( It will be nvidia)
3)How good of a mother board
4) what amount of ram.

I am upgrading from an Emachines T2692W/ 2.6 ghz celeron, 512 ram, 200gig HD, 80gig HD, intel extreme graphics 845gv(built into mother board), dvd r/rw, WinTV 150.

Will I notice an performance increase doing this? Thanks

viper15 said:

building a new Comp? yea, any video card will beat that onboard, an amd over 3000+ much faster than a celeron,
i would say:
amd64, cheaper better performance,
at least 1 gig, go value ram unless overclocking
mobo, make sure its a pci-e for your video card

how much are you going to spend?

I want to stay under 700$, I have a 200 gig Hd, DVD-R/Rw, monitor, keyboard, mouse and speakers that I will not have to buy. I will not be overclocking unless it would be necessary. I have been thinking amd 3200+ and I will be using pci-e instead of agp.

I have heard that the P4 is better for multi-tasking. Is burning dvd's and recording tv considered multitasking? I won't be doing other stuff while I do it. thanks

maybe you can keep the case (just the case not including the psu , if it have a standard form factor psu then its possible)
open the case and look on the psu sticker and report back with brand/model then ill know , if its standard then youll get a better bang for the $

talldude23 , hes from us.. , and he needs only few parts not a whole pc

viper15 said:

I am upgrading from an Emachines T2692W/ 2.6 ghz celeron, 512 ram, 200gig HD, 80gig HD, intel extreme graphics 845gv(built into mother board), dvd r/rw, WinTV 150.

I think there is a misunderstanding. I am not putting new parts into the emachines, I will be building a new computer from the ground up.
1) I want to build a computer from scratch and I don't want to buy emachines.

2) I am wanting a good looking case w/ some style. I have found a place where i can get one at a pretty good price. Thanks though.

Heres another question. How good of a graphics card will i need for playing non first person games just AOE 3, star Wars empire at War, Rise of nations, NFS Most Wanted, FS2004?

A 6800 GT would definitely be able to handle that and right now they are going for around 270.00. A 6600 GT probably would be able to handle it as well but I would try to get a 6800GT

I don't really have a need for dual core, would be nice but I don't need it.
The GS is better?
How about like the 7300 or 7600. How do those compare to the 6600 and 6800. I noticed that the 7300 is like $80 on ebay and the 6800 gt is 200+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom