Computer restarts when I click "SHUT DOWN", works second time I do it

Status
Not open for further replies.

quiq

Baseband Member
Why oh why.....Windows XP SP2

I noticed if I go to the bios, and disable standby mode (it gives you "S1 and S3" options... Then I dont have the problem...But I still want to be able to have standby

I use to have this problem with my Network card, very weird. The BIOS wake on LAN was enable and everytime I shut off the computer it would restart instead. So I just disable that wake on LAN feature on the BIOS and NIC card under device manager and the problem went away. It migh not be the solution but just an idea for you

I have had the same problem with a Compaq 6016US after I had to use the recovery disks after a hard drive failure. Did the above solve the problem? How did you know it was the NIC card?

Because I added another NIC card to the PCI slot, my original one was buildin. The PCI NIC card enable another PC from the network to wake the computer up remotely. So when I started having this issue when I try to shut down I immediately know it was the NIC because it was the first time I had the problem when I just added this hardware.

Anyways, hey quiq have you tried updating your BIOS?

Your solution worked. i disabled "wake from lan" in the device manager for my NiC and It stopped rebooting after shut down. Amazing I would never have come up with that. thanks for posting

I could never figure out why it does this. But I know that the features keep the NIC card power on while the computer is off, that's why sometime the NIC light is still on at the back of your computer while your computer is off. Because the NIC must be able to recieve this "Magic Packet" from a remote computer to wake it up, it can't do this if it's at the off state.

Maybe a bug in the design, because it shouldn't restart the computer if you are shutting it off. Could be the Operating system itself, a bug within the power management.

I have this problem. It restarts when I select shut down, and then when I push the power button on my case, it restarts again. I have to disconnect the power cable for it to stay off. If I put the power cable in, it automatically starts up.

That sounds like the situation I used to have with the NIC card "Wake on LAN" feature. Plus the motherboard BIOS "Wake on LAN" was enable too. Had to disable both to fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom