Computer upgrade, need some info pls

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey there i think i need a MOBO as well so any recomendations?? i was thinking an asus A8N SLI nforce 4 939? is that ok? something simple.. and also after chatting to a few ppl that *seemed* to know alot about these things they said Opterons arnt really good for games.. only for servers?? any advice on that thanks!

its a load of crap. the s939 opterons are basically higher quality athlon series processors. the main features that make the s940 (true server processors) different to the mainstream athlon series are absent from the s939 opterons. they work just as well as the athlons except are made from the same silicon wafers as the high end FX series and have a higher tolerance for heat and voltage.

edit: no newegg does not ship overseas, unfortunately they don't seem to have realised that when making their suggestions. you are going to have to have a look around for those parts and expect to pay more than the prices listed in this thread. my guess is that they have been converted to NZD from newegg prices which would be cheaper than current retail prices in new zealand

Thanks for the help for you guys!
Do u know any american online shopping places that sell things at a reasonable price as well as ship overseas? thanks! the cheapest F1-3200PHU2-2GBZX in NZ is 491$ compared to 250$ in newegg!

so you've decided that you want to overclock? and hence are considering the opteron? if you're not gonna overclock then the 3800+ and the value ram you have is good enough. the 1gb you currently have.. is that 2 X 512? or just 1 GB stick? with 2 sticks you can have dual channel...

if soemone finds a good site post it here so we can give our .02 as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom