AGP 8X/4X Video cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonny_dee101

Baseband Member
Hi, just a quick question, I was wondering whether I can installl an 8X graphics card when my motherboard is a 4X motherboard?

Great thanks a lot, and would that be a big reduction in performance? Also I was wondering could you tell me how i would know whether I need an additional power source for the card?

i'm not sure what you mean by additional power source.

some high-end video cards require direct hookup to the power supply. if thats what you mean well it really depends on which cards.. they all differ.

if you're wondering if your powersupply is sufficient, well that depends on how powerful a powersupply sony put into your comp. depending on which card you choose, they'll have a power requirement for it. so compare the power requirement to what you have, and if its not enough, you'll need to replace your powersupply.

4X i'm sure would decrease performance.. unless its not that fast of a card.. doesn't matter sicne you' can't do much about it anyways..

no you don't need another power supply for it only the really high-end video cards will need to plug to you'r PC Power supply.. most of them just take the power from the AGP Slot....

And I already told you that an x8 card would work on x4 AGP Slot, but preformence will be lowerd by a lot. [by.. half I guess, lol]

aliasaid said:
4X i'm sure would decrease performance.. unless its not that fast of a card.. doesn't matter sicne you' can't do much about it anyways..

no it wont. ask pzero, he already did an experiment.

the diffrence between 8x and 4x agp slots is very little...next to nothing, so you wont have to worry about it reducing perfomance of the card ;) as for the power supply i wouldnt think you would need to upgrade...as PCI-E is mainly what you need to upgrade your PSU for :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom