Simple Solutions V2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blitze105

Daemon Poster
Here are simple solutions to everyday windows problems. Everything in the color blue is nothing you need to read, it is extra information if you are curious. Things in red need to be read!

1) Firewalls
Firewalls are essential to safe surfing on the internet, it will protect you from many things you don't even know are there. It is vital that you only use one Firewall! If you are unsure how to tell if you have one, post or PM me.

Download Zonealarm(free) from the following link.

2) Anti Virus
Anti Viruses are another essential program to keep your computer in tip top condition. It is vital that you only use one anti virus! If you are unsure how to tell if you have one, post or PM me.
Download Avast!
OR
Download AVG

Anti Spyware, Adware, and Malware
Now more than ever it is becoming a competition to keep malware out of your computer, but that does not mean the spyware and adware is no longer a threat. These vicious software(s) attack your computers privacy and privacy settings, as well as throw the massive amounts of pop ups at your monitor.Not removing spyware, adware, and/or malware is a major invasion of your privacy and it can and will slow down your internet connection. I suggest using all 4 of these programs

Download Adaware Cleans worms and adware off of your computer
Download CWShredder This program cleans your computer of CoolWebSearch, a nasty spyware.
Download Spybot Seach & Destroy This program cleans all kinds of infections
Download SpyWareBlaster This program auto blocks natorious sites

There is no perfect scanner There are, however extra free online scans we can use to make sure our computer is healthy! The following two I highly recommend:

www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Surfing Safer!
I also recomend NOT using Internet Explorer, for various reasons. The main reason is because it has more holes than swiss cheese. In general other browsers are safer than Internet Explorer. The following are safe, effective, and reliable browsers.
FireFox One of my favorite browsers, it is very flexable and easy to customize. If you decide firefox, click tools -> extensions -> get more extensions. Then download what makes u happy.
www.opera.com I do not use opera as much as FX (FireFox) however, that does not mean that it isn't just as fast and reliable.
http://www.avantbrowser.com/download.html This browser i have never used, however; I have heard wonderful things about this browsers effectiveness.

General Problems

Can't get a website to open? Try this:
If u have IE: tools> internet options> you'll see a box labeled temporary files> delete files... (THIS WILL NOT HURT UR COMPUTER)
If u have FX: tools>options...>privacy (on the left)> cache>highlight>clear
=============
Will your computer not boot?
Try safe mode. Hit F8 as u boot up, over and over again. It will have options, highlight SafeMode and hit ENTER.
=============
Want to know if a file is safe?
http://www.fileresearchcenter.com/applicationlist.html?listtype=ALL&category=a Just search for it here.. or you can try this site and send the file to it.
http://www.virustotal.com/flash/index_en.html
=============
Does your computer keep slowing down?
cntrl+alt+del, proccesses, then click two times on CPU and it will the programs taking the most of your CPU at the top. Post the name, PM me, or google it to find out what it is.
=============
Is your computer just slow?
1. Defrag try O&O or diskeeper, or even the default windows one. However, i must include that the the default one provided by windows is junk comparing to the others.
2. Delete your prefetch folder every few months.. mycomputer>c>windows>prefetch (delete whats IN it)
3. You should have bout 512 ram for Windows XP.
4.Do not have an OVERLY crowded desktop. (icon wise)
5.Do the scans and downloads suggested above.
=============
Get a new computer?
Here is the order I install stuff, when i do a format.
Windows -> Drivers -> SP2 -> Updates -> Firewall, antivirus -> Then Misc Stuff (such as games)

Updates for next version will be:
1.Visuals to guide you through installing.
2.How to update and keep updated.
3.Programs to avoid.
This is not the order i will be using, but it will give a general idea of what to expect.

Update #1
Keeping Up To Date

Most of the programs listed in Verion 2.0 have auto updates; however, some do not have these features. You should update the following programs weekly.

Ad-aware Personal
The first program that does not auto update is Ad-aware Personal To update this program, double click on the Ad-aware Personal icon. It will load Ad-aware, find and click on Check for Updates Now A new window will appear, click on connect and it will ask you to hit OK or cancel. Press OK and it will begin the download and auto install for you.

Spybot Search & Destroy
Next up is Spybot. Once again double click on the Spybot Seach & Destroy icon. Once Spybot loads, look onto the left and click Update, now at the top of the window look for Search for Updates and click it. A list of Updates will appear, click in each box to make them have green checkmarks and click on Download Updates at the top. Once they are finished, look on the left and click on Immunize. At the top once more, click on + Immunie.

Spyware Blaster
Spyware Blaster is another program that is not going to auto update, therefore we will just have to do it ourselves. Double click on the Spyware Blaster icon and look to the left. Click on Update then click on Check for Updates. Once downloads are completed, go back to the left and click on Protection click Enable all near the bottom and you are done!

FireFox
FireFox does update automaticly in a manner of speaking. At teh top you have a circle, it is under the red X. When the cicrle is green click it and it will walk you through the updates.

ZoneAlarm
ZoneAlarm is another program that auto updates in a manner of speaking. It will notify you and ask your permission to download the update, allow it to and then reboot into safe mode. Entereing Safe mode: To enter safe mode, reboot the computer and tap F8 repeatedly until you get the options for booting Windows. Use the up and down arrows to highlight Safe Mode and hit ENTER. Once in safe mode click yes on the question it asks you, welcome to safe mode, it sucks. Double click on the file you previously download and click yes once again. then it will walk you through the updates.

I will go more into depth later, if any one is getting lost on these.
I appreciate all replies, opinions, suggestions, and thank yous to my guide. Lemme know even if you don't like it, but if you dont' let me know why please.
-blitze

Update #2
Programs to Avoid

Must read:
Legal Issues:This portion of the guide is to give suggestions of programs to use andnot to use. I am in no way stating to use a program for illegalintentions, that a program is of no use (without factual info), or thata program will harm your computer (without factual info).

Programs to Avoid
There are many programs to avoid, do not use this guide for a list of every program.

Norton
Norton is not the best anti-virus. The thing people here is that it is the topseller, which it is. However, that does not mean it is the best. I have only tested norton one time and i must admit it was enough, here arethe restults. http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?threadid=56010&highlight=avg+norton I highly recommend removing any norton product, and replacing it.

McAfee
This program i have had so many calls about, when i worked on computers as my job. Many times some one goes to uninstall this product is givesthem so many future problems. My suggestion: is to remove it in safe mode, or better yet never have it at all.

Kazaa - vital to read if you have kazaa
Wow.. where to start. Kazaa is the absolute worse P2P (person to person) programs out there. Kazaa's EULA has 182 pages and 22,606 words, but why? It is because Kazaais one of the most invasive P2P in the registry and on the system itinstalls (Tested in March 2005) upwards of 900 Registry Keys, 1477Values, 112 folders, and 638 files. The professionalls have even made http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3446.html to remove it.
How to remove: To remove kazaa go to Start -> control panel -> Add/Remove. Once here remove kazaa the normal way, reboot to Safe Mode and run kazaabegone.

Smileys
Most programs that give you extra msn smileys are versions of CoolWebSearch. Which proffessionals have also made a program just to remove this bad boy program. See post #1, CWShreeder.

RogueWare-vital to read
What is rogueware? Rogueware is a fake or failing program to do its job, such as an anti virus program that gives you viruses. And YES there are many more. An excellent list can be found here http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm#top

Windows Media Player
In my personal opinion this player froze a lot, and had many bugs. I suggest http://www.winamp.com/

P2P - essential to all p2p users
(again i am in no way suggestion illegal uses for these programs)
Ares Lite: Spyware
Bearshare: Adware, clean version available
BitTorrent Ultra: Spyware
Blubster: Adware, hacked Clean Versions available
eDonkey/Overnet: Adware/Spyware
Exeem: Adware/Spyware(?)
Grokster: Adware/Spyware
Kazaa - everything lol
Imesh: Adware/Spyware, hacked Clean Versions available
MediaSeek: Adware/Spyware
Morpheus: Adware/Spyware
Piolet: Adware
RockItNet: Adware/Spyware
Warez: Adware/Spyware(?)

=============================================

Decent programs to use:
Any program found of the first page is highly recommended, along with these:

Kaspersky
Winamp
Partition Magic
WinRar
Alcohol 120%
Nero
Ewido
QuickTime - disable at start up.. start -> run -> Msconfig -> startup -> and uncheck it press OK and reboot

P2P that are safe
ABC
Ares: Uncheck bundled software during install
Azureus
BitComet
BitSpirit
BitTorrent
BitTornado
Burst!
DC++
eMule
FileCroc: Uncheck bundled software during install
Filetopia
Gnucleus
KCEasy
LimeWire Pro
LimeWire
Qnext
Shareaza
Soulseek
TorrentStorm
Waste
WinMX
XBT
XS Client
Zultrax

The big question! IS FREE BETTER?
Inmy opinion yes, free is one of the best words I have heard in my life.(Considering my mother is a B**** and doesn't buy me anything). I havehad a few PMs asking if people should buy the PRO versions of things.IN my opinion no, they normal work find but if you do feel safer payingmoney make sure it isn't norton or software that is on the bad list. However,if you are willing to buy and/or donate to them for their product I amsure they would greatly appreciate any and all donations for keepingyour comptuer up-to-date, healthy, and happy.:)
-blitze

sticky ;)

lmao.. i remember that night.. with my hdd..... "1 virus...2 virus.....15 virus..... ya know... AVG hasnt even scanned yet....."

i might remember that night so clearly because it was the night that started a month long of questions about how my monitor decided not to read whatsoever... how the setting SOMEHOW got changed.. how? to this day i dont know... lol..

I think it needs a sticky, but not in Off-Topic. Since these are Windows related problems, wouldn't this better belong in the Windows OS forum? :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom