3800+ or 4400+?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mentali$T said:
I just ordered the 4400+ yesterday for £313!!! thats pretty dam good considering thats UK with 17.5% vat on it. Its coming tomorrow. I would wait till u can get the 4400+ because this will easily clock up 200mhz then u have yourself a nice 4800+! it will even go higher than a 4800+. I seen people get it up to 2.7ghz on stock cooling! and it also has 2 x 1mb cache so thats worth it too.

Hope this helped.

My 4400+ costed me $758.

I would tell you what it's like, but I haven't booted up my new rig yet, seeing as I'm still waiting for the ram to come.

Thanks guys, I still haven't made a solid decision as of yet. I'm leaning towards the 4400+ though.

wtk pro l: Opteron? Did I list that in my choices? Nope.

The only options for AMD dual-core you want to look at are the Opteron 165 (for the OCer), Athlon 64 x2 3800+ (for basic dual-core) and the Athlon 64 4400+ (for higher end dual-core).

Obviously any of those will OC, but the Opteron 165 will OC at least twice as much than the Athlon 64 x2 series.

I'd really look into the Opteron 165, especially since theres news that AMD might cut the Socket 939 Opteron line, since many OC enthusiasts are taking advantage of it's higher quality silicon.

Opterons kick *** at pretty much anything. They are good for gaming because they are basically designed from the architecture of the Athlon. They can also handle a lot of server work, since after all that's what they were intended to do. They use higher quality silicon thus resulting in higher overclocks and if I'm not mistakin' they have a lower stock voltage. I think it's 1.3V instead of 1.4. They also have better and more efficient memory controllers, or so I've heard.

EDIT: Honestly dude, this is what you want to get: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103588

opteron's are made from higher quality silicon wafers (the same as the FX-series if i'm not mistaken) and have a higher tolerance for heat, voltage and general abuse.

Instead, i'd get the 4200+, it can easily be OCed to surpass the 4400+ and you save money!!

don't even bother with 4200+. just look at the 3800+ or the 4400+ as you already are. despite the fact you seemed annoyed at the mention of the opteron 165 it is also a good choice. at stock speeds it will perform fairly similarly to a x2 3800+ (despite the 200mhz defecit) and will most likely overclock further.

a couple of points about overclocking:
"it will overclock at least twice as much as the x2 series" i don't think so, the average overclock for the 165 is around 2.7-2.8ghz which is more than achievable on any of the X2 range.

"the 3800+ won't overclock to the speed of the 4800+" the 3800+ can overclock beyond FX-60 speeds

i think I'm going for the 4400+. Maybe the price will even come down a small bit between now and when I order it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom