Questions for when I put my new hardware in

Status
Not open for further replies.

DwayneDays

In Runtime
Im ordering a new mobo and cpu and sata harddrive.

Im guessing I should clean install on the new harddrive and start it up like that and have my current one as a secondary. My Qs are this

Will my comp blow up if I dont do a fresh install on the new harddrive?

Are their any programs that will trasnfer my stuff from my old IDE harddrivce to my new sata one?

you guessed it right , just dont forget to set the boot order right in bios (so it wont boot from your old hd)

DwayneDays said:
Will my comp blow up if I dont do a fresh install on the new harddrive?
its a computer not a dynamite obviously not , if youll try to boot from the old hd after connecting it to the new pc windows likely wont load (as the hardware is diffrent)

DwayneDays said:
Are their any programs that will trasnfer my stuff from my old IDE harddrivce to my new sata one?
just install windows on the new hd and connect your old hd as you alredy had in mind , then youll see its partitions in windows explorer just drag & drop or copy & paste to the new , ntfs file system have permissions so youll probably get an *access denied* error while tryin to access some folders, just set the permissions properly and it will be fine , see this thread http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=98492

its a good idea to keep the old hd in the new pc , for backup , you can backup to other partition/s on same hd but it may go bad one day which is why backing up to another hd is much more reliable , use a good backup software like good sync

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom