Whats best comp you can make with $500 (including monitor)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jez-

Solid State Member
POWMAX DREAM STAR Mid Tower ATX Case with 400W Power Supply ($30)

Samsung Black 52X32X52 CD-RW Drive ($36)

Speeze Hard Disk Cooler, 130 x 100 x 17 mm ($4)

Seagate 80GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive ($66)

KRETON 184 Pin 256MB DDR RAM ($41)

BEST DATA 56K V.92/V.44 PCI Data Fax Modem ($21)

ASUS nForce2 IGP Chipset Motherboard ($90)
FSB: 400/333/266MHz
RAM: 2x DIMM support Dual Channel DDR333/266 Max 2GB
Onboard Audio: Realtek ALC650 6-Channel Codec
Onboard Video: GeForce4 MX GPU + TV Encoder
Onboard LAN: Realtek 10/100Mbps
Form Factor: Micro ATX

AMD Athlon XP 2700+, 333MHz FSB, 256K Cache Processor (Heatsink and Fan included) ($107)

Total : $ 427.20 (including all shipping)

*note i didnt include monitor on purpose, i bought a decent 17 inch monitor used for 40 bucks, still puttin me under $500*

I was looking at this, wondering how it could be so cheap, when it occurred to me - you have no video card! A video card is very important and can be quite expensive - a good one is about $160 or $170. Once that's added in, you're looking at about $600 total, without the monitor. I also noticed that you didn't include a mouse, keyboard, or speakers yet either. Just keep all that in mind before you purchase everything. Hope I helped. One more thing, your case is now $35, and it only got 3-star reviews, if I were you, I would consider getting this one:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-182-537&depa=1&section=1
It got four-star reviews, is slightly cheaper, and looks just plain awesome! I also wanted to build a computer without spending a lot, and I think that's the case I'm going with.

Neat case squaggleboggin, i didnt catch that one, thanks for pointing it out (only wish it was black, but i can work around it), and yeah it has onboard video, my first choice was a pentium 4, which had no onboard video so i was going to have to get a decent 60 dollar gforce one, seemed to be pretty good 128mb. With this one having an onboard one i can cut the price a bit and its not too shabby i suspect. Hoping the comp will run decent, thanks the reply though your suggestion was very helpful.

Squaggleboggin said:
I was looking at this, wondering how it could be so cheap, when it occurred to me - you have no video card! A video card is very important and can be quite expensive - a good one is about $160 or $170. Once that's added in, you're looking at about $600 total, without the monitor. I also noticed that you didn't include a mouse, keyboard, or speakers yet either. Just keep all that in mind before you purchase everything. Hope I helped. One more thing, your case is now $35, and it only got 3-star reviews, if I were you, I would consider getting this one:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-182-537&depa=1&section=1
It got four-star reviews, is slightly cheaper, and looks just plain awesome! I also wanted to build a computer without spending a lot, and I think that's the case I'm going with.

It says it has onboard video.

Geez squaggle... lol

Sure does, much thanks.

Yeah i'm hoping the onboard video can handle games pretty well, i hear that if both cpu speed/ram/card are all decent it should run pretty good even in more advanced games. never worked with a micro atx before, hopefully i can work all of that out, i guess ill be ordering my stuff tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom