Increase in Mobo temps

Status
Not open for further replies.

cliffhucker

In Runtime
I posted this ion the ASUS forums but still no solutions. You guys in this forum are the smatest so..

I built my system ~ 3 weeks ago and my sytem temps were lower than my CPU temps now it has suddenly reversed and my mobo temps are higher.

Antec Sonata 2 w/ intake fan
ASUS A8N-E
Athlon 3800+X2

Everything is the same, fans etc all working
. I even turned up the exhaust and my CPU temp went down but my system temp did not budge.
The Nbridge fan is operating at the same 6750 RPM it was when system temps were low ~28-34C now @ 39C and CPU @ 34C

Any ideas?

Thanks

Dust? Is 39 the highest it goes to? chipset should do 40 with ease, but if your really worried you can take the hsf off the north bridge and put some as5 on it probably lower it a little.

I'm pretty sure I've never had a pc with a lower system idle temp then cpu idle temp.

mobo temp

Sui thanks for replying

No dust, the system is brand new and i even blew it out today.

I understand that the temp is not abnormally high. The thing is that for the last three weeks since building it the system temps have been lower than the CPU temp. the Cpu temp is the same as it has been since build but the mobo temp has increased alot.

Could the stock Thermal paste have failed all of a sudden?

I have some as5 that I got when I got a zalman passive (which is still in the box)

Like I said the temp changed suddenly, so what are the chances that the thermal interface is at fault?

thanks

Don't know, seriously doubt it, but as5 would probably perform better.

I don't really know why it would suddenly change, any external change would affect cpu temp, so that rules out environment. No changes in fan RPM...... Most of the time people report temps go down a little after a few times heating up, as the paste spreads out and fills the voids. Never heard of the thermal paste going away in a 3 weeks, 6 months maybe. The only other thing I can think of is a partially esd damaged chip that heats up excessivly and eventually causes problems, though I've never seen a motherboard behave that way, it video usually and they give lots of blue screens for warnings, so I doubt thats the case.

Get some of that artic silver 5 cleaner, and paste and pull it off to find out.

Sui

If I pull off thew stock fan how do I clean the existing paste off? Can I use something like rubbing alchohol or goof-off. Or is it vital I get some special thermal paste cleaner?

Is replacing the fan or the zalman straight forward? Can I do it with the mobo mounted?

Could a change in sound drivers be causing the nbridge to be getting hotter?

About the only thing I have done that correlates w/ the sudden temp increase is a Nvidia driver update???

thanks again

theres that artic clean stuff you can buy thats made just for that purpose, I hear good things, but I've never used it. Isopropyl alcohol should do the trick, you need something that will break up the gunk and not leave a residue. Get some cotten balls, and qtips, and your static strap.

The chipset hsf is probably mounted with these push in, barb type of hold down things, you need to get to the back side to squeeze it together so they come off..... or you can cut them off like most people replacing that chipset hsf do. If you need them you can't just cut em. Whats the zalman? cpu hsf?

uhhhh yeah driver update could do it, not to the sound card though, different chip.

I was thinking, my motherboard didn't even come with any thermal paste on the chipset heatsink, I remember popping it off and having it just fall. Its a nf4 too.

Found something that might help walk you though the process http://compreviews.about.com/od/tutorials/ss/DIYChipCool.htm
Found it while I was trying to find out if you could just buy those stupid little push in mounts.

mobo temps

Sui,

thanks alot. I am about to get ready to do this thing.

The Zalman I spoke of is the Zalman ZM-NB47J passive chipsew5t cooler. When I was researching the A8N-E people said the Nbridge fan was loud so I got it as a backup. The fan is not that bad, they have a better lower RPM one on it now. So I am not sure if I will use it or just remount the stock fan. It all depends on what it looks like when I take it off. If like yours there is no TPast then i may remount.

Thanks for the link

I'd reuse the fan, that Zalman is gonna cause temps to rise unless you have some crazy high airflow. nf4's have a little problem with running a bit too hot as is, even though yours isn't bad at 39, better safe.

mobo temp

Sui,

I reinstalled the stock fan with fresh as5.

My temps are no better.

38 CPU
45 Mobo right now

I know it isnt that bad but it used to be

~38 CPU
~30 Mobo

I just cant figure out what went wrong?

Before reinstalling the chip fan I unistalled all the recent drivers and installed the ones I started with. It did not help so I tore out the mobo and redid the fan.

I agree, the Zalman would not be good. I want to turn my intake off as I did before high temps. I'd have to leave it on with the passive cooler.

Cheers

woa, err did you put it on thin or thick? suppose to be thin as you can.... sometimes it takes a while to spread out, try putting a _little_(like single finger) pressure on the cooler to maybe push it around to get out any extra. Did it have any thermal paste on the cooler to begin with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom