After Affects of Worm

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm currently running Windows 98 SE, but I have a registered Windows XP Pro for full install.

Here's the problem with that, because I just tried that:
  • My "D" drive does not do anything at the time.
  • My "E" drive will read the CD and will place the menu on the screen.
  • When I click to install Pro, nothing happens.
  • I can click on the menus and get IE to open, but no functions work on the CD.

I also tried my CD for Windows 98, but could not get it to run. It is read, but none of the menu items will work.

I'm gonna' try the latest suggestions now. Be back directly.

Thanks for the help.

The ever frustrated and ranting Dave :(

Re: Dave sorry I'm thinking old windows here

Nightman said:
Try this. Goto your control panel/add and remove programs and where you see Set program Access & Defaults make sure it's all set right using the right defaults.
I get the following error when I click on add/remove programs:

Access to the specified device, path, or file is denied.

I get that same error message whenever I click any icon there.

Next.....
right click on a short cut on the desktop and goto openwith/other programs and scroll down until your see explorer and highlight explorer and on bottom click ok, if this works go back and do the same thing but this time on the bottom put a check on the far left to let it know that how you would like to view it all the time.
Is that an XP function? That is not in my pop-up menu.

I did right click an icon and went to Properties. The Start In field is blank. Something wrong there, huh?

I really appreciate your working with me, and I hope all this frustration is a good learning experience. Plus, I need to do a lot more back ups.

Dave :(

DMo224 said:
I'm currently running Windows 98 SE, but I have a registered Windows XP Pro for full install.

Here's the problem with that, because I just tried that:
  • My "D" drive does not do anything at the time.
  • My "E" drive will read the CD and will place the menu on the screen.
  • When I click to install Pro, nothing happens.
  • I can click on the menus and get IE to open, but no functions work on the CD.

I also tried my CD for Windows 98, but could not get it to run. It is read, but none of the menu items will work.

I'm gonna' try the latest suggestions now. Be back directly.

Thanks for the help.

The ever frustrated and ranting Dave :(

Wow, talk about problems.

Here is what I would do, Please by all means go with XP of course.
Put in your old startup disk for windows 98 or 98Se and reboot with that disk in A: drive. When rebooting it will load the Dos commands needed to format the partitions and from there in dos command A: type in this Format C: or Format C: D: if you don't get this just type in A: Fdisk and follow directions :)

This will format the drive/drives and then you can tell it when it ask for cd rom support and when done formatting just put the disk in and reboot again.

I have to go tonight Dave ;) catch up with you tomorrow to see how your doing.

Re: Re: Dave sorry I'm thinking old windows here

DMo224 said:
I get the following error when I click on add/remove programs:

Access to the specified device, path, or file is denied.

I get that same error message whenever I click any icon there.

Next..... Is that an XP function? That is not in my pop-up menu.

I did right click an icon and went to Properties. The Start In field is blank. Something wrong there, huh?

I really appreciate your working with me, and I hope all this frustration is a good learning experience. Plus, I need to do a lot more back ups.

Yes I thought by mistake your were using XP.

I appreciate all help......and I'm still working, even though I'm really getting fed up with this........I think I need a little break too!

Dave :confused:

DMo224 said:
I appreciate all help......and I'm still working, even though I'm really getting fed up with this........I think I need a little break too!

Dave :confused:

Cross fire here, it happens.

Dave before I go you do have a start up disk right?

Boot to the XP cd and format using NTFS, your data is trash by now im sure.

I just went through Symantec's FixYaha.com program. I don't know that it "fixed" anything, but it says that the worm is no longer with the living.

I have my Windows 98 SE CD and I have my Windows XP Pro CD. I still have a problem of getting the programs to run on the CDs.

I'm hoping that some data is not trashed, but you're probably right.

I agree

Yeah ecniv, that's what I said. sometimes the quickest solution is to start over.

Dave, you can boot from that CD it will ask you to "press any key to boot from CD..." and then you just hit the space bar there. Let it go through it's little routine and it will ask you what you want to do, choose install. Then it will ask you what partition to install on.

At that point choose c: drive if that's where you want it, or wherever the 98se is installed. Then press "D" for delete. This will effectively blow away all of your data, so make sure you copy what you can.

It will prompt you to click "L" if you are sure you want to delete the partition, then you will get the opportunity to format the partition. Like ecniv said, choose NTFS, quick format.

Good luck and let us know how it went.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom