adding more memory to my dell

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubba622

Beta member
i have a dell dim 8200, 1.8gh (400 fsb) intel d850gb m/b, i850 chipset, with 256 mb rd ram, pc800 samsung part# mr16r1624afo ck8...i need to add more memory (512 mb)...i would have to take a mortgage to buy directly from dell, there are other, cheaper, options, however, the problem i have been encountering is determining compatibility with so many part numbers from so many manufacturers....is there a simple way to ascertain compatibility? is there a cross reference guide somewhere?
some of the modules i'm considering are described only as pc800, non ecc, 45 ns,
as i understand thins i can mix ecc & non ecc as well 40 or 45 ns
i realize i could probably build a better cpu for a few more bucks, but the budget won't allow it right now

I would suggest an after-market brand. click here for a 256MB Kingston brand. (2x256=512. Thats what you're looking for, right?)

I would think that you already know that you must install 2 modules for RDRAM to work so you'll have to buy two. ($170 total) Still a lot better than Dell's price..

As for ECC and non-ECC. You can mix the two. :)

the difference between 40ns and 45 ns is speed. Lower numbers = faster. If you're doing some serious sh!t on your computer you might notice, but for the average user, either one will do.

zack_the_pwner said:
its a dell...just throw it and buy a new PC =)

That's great. What a way to help this guy out. You know, if you can't help then STFU...;)

So... my Intel850GB have 4 slots of RAM, they are in 2 pairs (making them a dual channel), is it ok if on one pair i'll be using the 40ns, and on the other i'll be upgrading using the 45ns? somebody said it won't work, i don't know...........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom