first-time buyer, need desktop suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

germanfries

Beta member
hey, everyone!

okay, this is my first time buying a new computer and i could really use some suggestions as to what would suit my needs.

i think i've pretty much decided i'm going to go with monarch, so i've been playing around with customizing a desktop there. however, i'd like to be sure that what i'm getting is a good fit both performance/price wise and i don't really have the expertise to decide on my own.

budget: i'm looking to stay under $1500.

i tend to multitask, so maybe one of the amd 64 x2 processors?

definitely not looking for a gaming pc, but i want to be able to play the sims 2 on it. so, i'll need one of the geforce video cards that'll perform fairly well and not be insanely priced.

i'll be storing a good amount of photos, mp3's, and videos.

i don't really care about the sound card, just something to get basic sound will be fine.

no dvd-rom, just a cd-rom and cd-rw will suffice.

thanks in advance. your help is greatly appreciated. :)

if there's anything else you guys need to know, just ask.

alright well if you want to multitask its good to go with the x2. now graphics wise go with a 6600 gt. its cheap but could easly handle sims 2 and still a great card for any other games you might want to play. go with at least a gig of ram. that should be all good.

One question.. do you want to go for Intel or AMD? Thats a big diffrence, I can build you up a nice desktop PC for 1500$ that will run sims 2 and other games too.

yeah..........NO dont go with intel.
here is what you'll need

DFI Lanparty UT ULtra-D $120
AMD X2 3800+ about $320
BFG GeForce 6600 GT about $100
NEC 3550A about $30
Corsair XMS 2x1gb Dual Channel $160
WD Raptor 36GB system HD $100
WD Caviar 250GB storage HD about $120
a regular keyboard, about $20-30
Logitech MX 1000 about $60-70
Viewsonic VX922 19" 2ms $320

total of about $1400

btw, those parts if u are building the computer yourself, which i highly suggest u do, and everyone one else on this website will tell you to do the same. If your scared that its too hard and you might screw up, DONT BE, read around this forum, ASK ASK ASK ASK questions no matter how dumb they may seem, i thought i had my system ready to order but then i figured 2 problems that might of screwed it up ( hope this doesnt scare you even more about it), just read alot, ask alot, and its NOT HARD AT ALL!

i back john's system suggestion. although you may want to trade the Raptor for another large drive or just get a singloe large drive. you don't seem the sort of person that would benefit from a Raptor hdd. keep in mind if you want to take the entirely legal route you'll be needing a copy of windows (unless you are a linux user which i doubt). also perhaps you could use the spare money towards a 4400+ (perhaps ditching the raptor?)

The parts in my sig were JUST UNDER $1500 SHIPPED last June (maybe July...)... they are probably close to about $1100 - $1200 by now... Swap the CPU with a faster one, and you can even change out the video card to a nice Nvidia one and stay under the $1500 mark.

get a dvd rom

i would get a dvd rw or a dvd rom then cdrw because you will find down the road that more games are being put on dvd disc instead of cd's... which means you wont need to load 6 disc to play the game but thats up to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom