Printer spooler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lystat2k2se

Beta member
Hello,
1) I recently networked my 2 (both xp home)computers together and share a printer. When i try to print it takes forever just for it to print 1 page any ideas? It worked fine before I did the whole network/share printer thing.

2) My printer spooler service sits at 50% cpu usage constantly even with printer tunrned off and unplugged from the computer. the only way I have found to stop this is to go into services.msc and disable and stop the service.

Both of these things are rather annoying so any help would be appreciated

Thanx in advance :D

I checked the pooling and no it wasn't but I enabled it. It made me choose a second port though i just chose a randome one, don't know if that matters? anyways I havnt tried to print anything but I turned back on spoolsv.exe and cpu usage sits at 50% for this service still

have you tried reseting the print spooler ??

Start > Run > Services.msc > Printer Spooler > Stop > Start

Yes to printing from both computers, and yes on restarting printer spooler.

Printing from both computers is fine now it prints at normal speed so that is fixed although I don't know how lol. The spooler service still sits at 50% cpu usage though.

I think I am just going to re-do the network all together and see if that does it.

Warez Monster said:
in the properties of the printer, do you have printer pooling enabled?

Printer pooling wouldnt work with only 1 printer would it? I thought pooling was to use one "logical" printer, but multiple "physical" printers/printer ports. The pooling effect being if one printer was busy it would pool to the others until it found one that wasnt busy and print to it. At least that is what I recall from my MCSE studies for the XP exam....

Maybe there is an old job stuck in the spool folder that is hogging the resources up? See if there is anything hiding in here C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\PRINTERS

Win2kpatcher said:
Printer pooling wouldnt work with only 1 printer would it? I thought pooling was to use one "logical" printer, but multiple "physical" printers/printer ports. The pooling effect being if one printer was busy it would pool to the others until it found one that wasnt busy and print to it. At least that is what I recall from my MCSE studies for the XP exam....

Maybe there is an old job stuck in the spool folder that is hogging the resources up? See if there is anything hiding in here C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\PRINTERS

Wow thanks alot! I checked the folder and there were 2 objects inside. Right click/deleted then started the service back up and poof no more hogging the the cpu! Thanks for all the help!!!! :D

This just fiexd my problem also. I was a little worried b/c my cpu usage was at 99%. I googled spoolsv.exe and found out it could also be a hacker using it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom