CPU question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mentali$T

Daemon Poster
Hi i just ordered my X2 4400+!! and i think its meant to be coming tomorrow, does anyone know if this will come with the thermal paste you need to put on? Do you absolutely need this thermal paste?

transfers heat between the surface of the processor's heat spreader and the heatsink fan. it is necessary. the current AMD HSFs do not actually use a thermal pad, it is a thermal grease called shin-etsu i think. people often confuse it with a thermal pad because it sets pretty solidly after use. true thermal pads are made from paraffin waxes and other compounds that actually melt onto the cpu once used. to answer your first question, the shin-etsu is pre-applied in a square. all you have to do is clamp the HSF down into the retainer once you have installed the cpu and you're done

Thanks a lot nitestick. im guessing the hsf is the heat sink fan yeah? How do i go about clamping it down? surely this would damage the mobo in some way.

just another quick question. when i put my cpu into my mobo and get it all sorted can i use the harddrive im using at the moment in it without having to format it or anything? So just plug and play basically.

i dont think u can do that can u?

Its always better to get some AS5, its like $5, wait.......dont u live in the UK? then there its like 10 pounds lol.

kk. i hope i can i got so much stuff on it that i want to keep. why dont u think i can? ill be using same XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom