was it really worth it? fx 57

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah but chances are that if his parents bought it and he's all bragging and crap about it, he wont be overclocking it...

RockyZ said:
What makes you think that the Fx-57 can't be overclocked? I've seen many people run their Fx-57 at 3.5+ GHZ stable, and uses it everyday. Can your opterons do that? No.

BS :D

Thats the catch. You can't overclock a FX-57 very much without running into heat issues. The FX series may use the better silicon, but its not that much better than normal processors. A FX-57 processor clocked at 2.8GHz is already close to it's thermal limits. 3.5GHz from a FX-57 on air cooling is just not done, it won't happen. It IS, however, possible from single-core Opterons, but only in extremely rare circumstances. I think the record for the highest clocked Opteron 100 on air cooling is 3.5GHz, so yea, world record = rare. Basically, the FX-57 is for those that either don't have the brains to overclock (pretty sad), are against overclocking because of misinformation or ignorance (also pretty sad), or have to choice due to supply or something (pretty sad that such a place would exist :p ).

A $170 Opteron 144 can often be overclocked to 2.8GHz to rival the FX-57 is every possible way, so no, a FX-57 is in no way worth it.

Green Radience said:
BS :D

Thats the catch. You can't overclock a FX-57 very much without running into heat issues. The FX series may use the better silicon, but its not that much better than normal processors. A FX-57 processor clocked at 2.8GHz is already close to it's thermal limits. 3.5GHz from a FX-57 on air cooling is just not done, it won't happen. It IS, however, possible from single-core Opterons, but only in extremely rare circumstances. I think the record for the highest clocked Opteron 100 on air cooling is 3.5GHz, so yea, world record = rare. Basically, the FX-57 is for those that either don't have the brains to overclock (pretty sad), are against overclocking because of misinformation or ignorance (also pretty sad), or have to choice due to supply or something (pretty sad that such a place would exist :p ).

A $170 Opteron 144 can often be overclocked to 2.8GHz to rival the FX-57 is every possible way, so no, a FX-57 is in no way worth it.

Exactly what I was trying to say.

The point you guys are missing is that even though an Opteron can reach the stock performance of a Fx-57 with its max potential does not mean it owns it. What makes you think that the Fx-57 can't be overclocked? I've seen many people run their Fx-57 at 3.5+ GHZ stable, and uses it everyday. Can your opterons do that? No.

The Opteron can OC over 1000mhz ... you'd be lucky to get the FX-57 beyound a 200mhz gain. And you payed $600 more for it ... Why pay four times more when you can spend a lot less for that much more performance.

The Opteron can OC over 1000mhz ... you'd be lucky to get the FX-57 beyound a 200mhz gain. And you payed $600 more for it ... Why pay four times more when you can spend a lot less for that much more performance.
Other way around...opterons are nice chips but no way do they have a guranteed 1GHz+ ceiling, if that were the case AMD would be binning these cores closer to 3GHz, and I haven't heard of an FX-57 that has any issues breaking 3GHz

It might be true that a lower clocked core with a good fabrication has a better vcore to clock frequency ratio but that doesn't mean it's guranteed to even touch the speeds a higher factory binned core are capable of reaching...for example, an Opteron 144 might be able to bump up 300MHz for every 0.1vcore increase with a ceiling of 1.6vcore and an FX-57 might manage 200MHz for every 0.1vcore increase with a ceiling of 1.6 vcore, the FX-57 is binned higher at the same default therefore you'd have 3100Mhz vs. 3400MHz...the opteron has the better overclocking capability but the Athlon clearly has the fabrication quality and vcore binning neccesary to reach the higher clock frequencies

FX-57 stepping will also be far less likely to have issues with cold bugs that an opteron and that will also be a justification in price consider an FX under phase can easily break 3.6GHz which is ridiculously fast and isn't a speed that you buy out of the box

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom