Its upgrade time! A few Qs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plus IDE cables are freakin' huge, and SATA cables are sleek and skinny. And yeah, SATA is much faster than IDE.

Well some IDE hard drives are still very fast so it depends on what you have. But mainly SATA is a new interfrace which allows higher bandwidth and such. Oh and the smaller cables are great.

So guys I've been reading up alot on this from reviews and such. One person said his single core p4 3.0 out performed it. Another said the single core 3700 outperformed it.

Im just wondering whats up with that and will the card actually be a huge improvement?

Also keep in mind im open to any other options around this price range. Its mostly for gaming btw

saying that SATA "is much faster than IDE" is a blatant lie. theoretically, yes SATA does allow for much higher speeds and the higher performance drives like the Raptor are much faster (keep in mind Raptor's are also a lot faster than standard SATA drives as well). but the fact is average sustained speeds of comparable SATA drives and IDE drives are not all that different. SATA is a bit faster though. where the difference comes in is that each drive is on a dedicated channel rather than 2 drives per channel. using 2 drives on one channel is considerably slower. SATA cables are much easier to work with as they are much smaller and they are keyed to only be inserted one way unlike IDE cables which could be accidentally inserted backwards in some cases.

the 3700+ is more powerful than the x2 3800+ on single threaded applications. as we are now moving towards multi-threaded apps being common place the x2 will have the advantage. the only reason the 3700+ beats an x2 3800+ in single threaded apps is because single threaded apps only use one core giving the x2 3800+ roughly similar to 3200+ performance. its sheer multi-tasking ability and power in multi-threaded apps make up for this in my opinion. if you would be interested in overclocking then the x2 3800+ is a more than sound investment as an approximately 300mhz (possible on the stock cooler) overclock would fix the defecit of the x2 vs. 3700+ in single threaded performance by giving each core a p-rating of approx. 3700+

edit: sorry for the double post i got disconnected (dialup) and didn't think about it when i responded again. anyway "So guys I've been reading up alot on this from reviews and such. One person said his single core p4 3.0 out performed it" either this person is an idiot or a liar

Aite thanks! You got me hyped again.

Would it be possible to overclock at all with the stock heatsink or no?

if you would be interested in overclocking then the x2 3800+ is a more than sound investment as an approximately 300mhz (possible on the stock cooler) overclock would fix the defecit of the x2 vs. 3700+ in single threaded performance by giving each core a p-rating of approx. 3700+

yes, i can't guarantee it but it should be possible. nothing is guaranteed with overclocking. mine hit 2.5ghz on stock cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom