After Affects of Worm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Re: yep

DMo224 said:
Changed the registry setting as shown, but no go on anything yet.

Getting an error message with everything (no associated program).

:(

Hi Dmo224

Did you try www.windowsupdate.com to see if this will fix your problem?

Try updating and see if it puts back things your system that it needs to run better.

Hi Nightman,

I hadn't tried Windows Update, but now I have. Thanks for the suggestion.

When it checked for updates, I had all the latest and it did not have anything that I needed (it had bunches of language support stuff that I don't need).

Dead in the water. :(

DMo224 said:
Hi Nightman,

I hadn't tried Windows Update, but now I have. Thanks for the suggestion.

When it checked for updates, I had all the latest and it did not have anything that I needed (it had bunches of language support stuff that I don't need).

Dead in the water. :(

OK, You can try a rollback type of thing here :)

Goto start program files and to Accessories then to System tools and finally to System restore

Go back to a date when you didn't have this problem. This should do it for you. I did say should right :D
Damn Worms :mad:

Questions:
  1. I have Windows XP Pro, would this be a good time to load it? Would this bring back the functionality of the desktop shortcuts and the programs that I use?
  2. Is there a fast and fairly easy way to get all shortcuts working?
  3. Is there a fast and fairly easy way to get the menus working?
    properties: Access to the specified device, path, or file is denied. How do I get take care of that?
    [/list=1]
    Sorry for the long post. I'm hoping that someone can help me get my pc back in shape (without going to someone that will charge me lots of money).

Struggling Dave :(

1. You can bring back the short cuts like you use to see on windows, sure this can be done.

One way is right click on the start bar on any empty space and goto properties and then start menu where you will see on bottom part this

Attachments

• notez-idea.gif
    14.6 KB · Views: 17
Also dave if your short cuts don't work

delete them for there only short cuts, and then put them back just right click the programs you want on the desktop and click on send to desktop from the right location where it is by going there your self.

Nightman said:
Goto start program files and to Accessories then to System tools and finally to System restore
I'm trying, but this did not work. Nothing works from the menus that pop-up when clicking Start.
You can bring back the short cuts like you use to see on windows, sure this can be done.
That does create another shortcut, but the shortcut does not work.

If I single click a shortcut on my desktop, the icon gets "darker" like it has been highlighted (normal). When I double click the shortcut to start a program, the icon gets "lighter" (normal?) and the program does not start. Does that indicate anything?

Struggling, and frustrated, and really ticked off Dave :mad:

BTW, I appreciate ya'lls help. I hope you can bear with me until I get this fixed.

DMo224 said:
I'm trying, but this did not work. Nothing works from the menus that pop-up when clicking Start. That does create another shortcut, but the shortcut does not work.

If I single click a shortcut on my desktop, the icon gets "darker" like it has been highlighted (normal). When I double click the shortcut to start a program, the icon gets "lighter" (normal?) and the program does not start. Does that indicate anything?

Struggling, and frustrated, and really ticked off Dave :mad:

BTW, I appreciate ya'lls help. I hope you can bear with me until I get this fixed.

Oh My Dave your really going though some tuff times :( No problem Dave, Hey this is how I learned 10 years ago to fix things my self and not wait on teck support for an hour :rolleyes: :D

Try this? I can only give ideas and for you to try. Other then this I will look into it futher for you to help you.

right click on a short cut on the desktop and goto openwith/other programs and scroll down until your see explorer and highlight explorer and on bottom click ok, if this works go back and do the same thing but this time on the bottom put a check on the far left to let it know that how you would like to view it all the time.

Try this and let me know, I will go from here to see what your explorer will do.

Dave sorry I'm thinking old windows here

You might have trouble with shortcuts doing this.

Try this. Goto your control panel/add and remove programs and where you see Set program Access & Defaults make sure it's all set right using the right defaults.

I don't know what your running so it's up to you to know this ok.

All this because of a Virus/worm :mad:

Okay it's time

Okay Dave, it's time to upgrade to XP Pro. I recommend you boot from the CD and delete the partition and start from scratch with an install of Windows XP rather than upgrading if you can help it.

Re: Okay it's time

brahm said:
Okay Dave, it's time to upgrade to XP Pro. I recommend you boot from the CD and delete the partition and start from scratch with an install of Windows XP rather than upgrading if you can help it.

If I read this right, which I might not have, I took it as he is already running XP pro :(

Oh yes I did :D He has windows Xp pro to the fact, I did read it wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom